Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#75069 by joshhuggins
Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:20 pm
I didn't think polylines that had voids would allow what is behind the polyline to show thru the voids if knockouts were enabled but they do! I thought it just knocked out everything within the polyline boundary, guess not. Thanks!
#75070 by David A. Giesselman
Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:49 pm
joshhuggins wrote:I didn't think polylines that had voids would allow what is behind the polyline to show thru the voids if knockouts were enabled but they do! I thought it just knocked out everything within the polyline boundary, guess not. Thanks!

Josh, I am shocked. This is news to you? Just how do you think I would have done it? Isn't a Void just that; a Void? Don't you think it just makes sense this way and is more usable?

Dave :shock:
#75071 by joshhuggins
Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:10 pm
Yeah not sure why but when I was getting ready to test it I thought I remembered that they didn't work but then I tried one and it work. I came and searched the forums thinking that I remembered posting something on it during the beta testing for them but couldn't find anything on it.

I think maybe I had a bit of memory Déjà switcheroo mixing it up with xref clipping or something. Who knows. I really do have memory issues with stuff like this so this is nothing new for me. I have recently learned that I have extreme sleep apnea which is related to my memory issues. Have had it since my teen years apparently. Forces me to revisit and review stuff more than most to avoid mistakes. .... Wait, what were we talking about?
#75076 by David Porter
Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:06 pm
OMG, I can confirm that actually works and is a very cool, needed trick. Below are the simple steps to making this work.
Attachments
Knockouts & polyline voids.png
#75077 by dhs
Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:01 pm
Thanks for the illustration David,

I don't really understand the excitement about this (can't imagine Dave G would have implemented it any other way). BUT, looking at your post I do have a question:

I would have assumed that since the line was drawn after your polyline it would be in front of the knockout (unless it was drawn on a different layer that was behind the polyline layer). So I thought you would need to move it to behind the polyline before you got the result you illustrated.
Am I missing something here ?
#75078 by Roger D
Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:30 pm
Yes void polylines are really neat. I typically build up a balcony railing just as one would build it, having layers for posts, horizontals, and spindles. All Polyline voids. Can also view elevations without layers on, and then with the railing group on.
#75079 by joshhuggins
Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:38 pm
dhs wrote:I would have assumed that since the line was drawn after your polyline it would be in front of the knockout (unless it was drawn on a different layer that was behind the polyline layer). So I thought you would need to move it to behind the polyline before you got the result you illustrated.
Am I missing something here ?
So for the display ordering it is dependent on what the user has set in their Utility Menu, Display, Layer Order, and then based on that setting, what layer the entity is drawn on and what layer is currently active to determine how it displays on screen.

For the printed output ordering depends on what the use has set for Utility, Print Settings, if Pen Sort is On/Off and then if Pen Sort is Off, if WYSIWYG is turned on/off.

Looking at Dave's screen shot, it looks like it's from the print output and the line may have been drawn last but if he is using Pen Sort like we do here, his Pen Table would determine the ordering. We prefer this method here in our office that way we know exactly what color will print over/under other colors no matter what the layer or creation order is, but we are limited to 15 layers of ordering which kind of stinks sometimes but for most stuff it's enough.
#75081 by dhs
Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:34 pm
Josh wrote: For the printed output ordering depends on what the use has set for Utility, Print Settings, if Pen Sort is On/Off and then if Pen Sort is Off, if WYSIWYG is turned on/off
For the printed output ordering depends on what the use has set for Utility, Print Settings, if Pen Sort is On/Off and then if Pen Sort is Off, if WYSIWYG is turned on/off.

Thanks for the explanation Josh. I did read the 'What's New' documentation related to knockouts after Mark's post to a different thread the other day, but don't remember seeing anything about how print settings effect it ... maybe I need to go and have another look.