Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#75092 by David Porter
Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:36 am
For as long as I have used DCAD, I still cannot get the hang of using Nesting with xRefs. Hoping someone can provide a quick explanation or how-to video on this topic. Maybe I am not the only one who just doesn't get it.

Here's the example I use on just about every project. I have a surveyor's file I import from DWG into DCAD. I do whatever necessary adjustments are needed to make the imported file right in DCAD. I leave that file as a separate DCAD survey file for the project. I insert that DCAD survey file as an xRef just fine into my building drawing DCAD file (we'll call that the BLDG DataCAD file). I do everything for the building design in the BLDG file that contains the xRef'd survey file. I use the Reference Manager in the BLDG file to turn on Nesting for the survey file. Now, in a third DCAD file (call it CS) I want to insert an xRef showing the building addition from the BLDG file and to also have that xRef show the survey file. When I try to insert the xRef of the addition and the survey from the BLDG file into CS, all that shows up is the work that was done in the BLDG file. The survey file does not show up. When I check Reference Manager, it shows that the xSURVEY file is a turned on layer. I have double checked the BLDG file xRef of the survey file and Nesting is turned on.

What am I doing wrong where the nested xRef of the survey file is not getting pulled in by this process?
#75093 by David A. Giesselman
Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:23 am
David:

Do you have the display of nested XRefs enabled? On the Drawing tab of the Preferences dialog, make sure that you have Display Nested XREFS checked in the XREFS section.

10-28-2018 11-19-29 am.png
10-28-2018 11-19-29 am.png (38.59 KiB) Viewed 5514 times

Dave
#75094 by David Porter
Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:29 am
That solved the mystery. Thanks, Dave. At least I had the process right, I just didn't flip the hidden switch to see it happen.