Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#75979 by Eric Murray
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:18 pm
Been trying to use the degree character from my character map. The DataCAD fonts aren't in my list. The Ariel font has the character number/hotkey of ALT-0176 which I understand is the right number. Well, when I copy and paste it, it shows up on my text line; although, when I press "enter", it doesn't show up on my screen. It's nowhere to be found. When I enter it direct with the hotkey, it misbehaves in the same way. Also, to add to the confusion, the manual has a different number like 0145, I think it is.
#75980 by dhs
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:22 pm
Degree character appears to be 127 in the standard ROMANS datacad font.

The attached macro will create a character map in the open DataCAD drawing using the current font (the map will start at the origin and go downwards). Note that many of the characters are blank or not printable (typically characters below 32 or above 128).

Not sure if it the non-standard character will come through on the forum post, but if it does try copying the following character into the text line:

Rgds,
David H.
Attachments
(460 Bytes) Downloaded 686 times
#75981 by dhs
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:33 pm
oops, macro attached to previous post was previous version that always gave a map for the default (not current) font. Correct one is attached here (being a classic DCAL font, it only works for SHX fonts ... use the Windows character map for TTF fonts).
Attachments
(493 Bytes) Downloaded 629 times
#75982 by MtnArch
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:48 pm
Not sure how David's file compares but Mark Toce with DC LLC had also posted an AEC file long ago that you could use with any font (to my knowledge, TTF, SHX or CHR) to see standard ASCII characters/extra characters. I'm attaching it for anyone to check it out - it may NOT show all available codes and you need to use it knowing you may need to explore it more.
Attachments
(6.84 KiB) Downloaded 754 times
#75983 by Roger D
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:48 am
tried the macros. 1st one seemed to work. 2nd version gave me a stack overflow and no output.
#75984 by Mark F. Madura
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:01 am
The degree symbol in TrueType fonts is typically character 176 (or [Alt] + 0176 when typing the character in DataCAD). DataCAD's 'stroke' fonts, originally CHR and SHX since DataCAD 12, typically use character 145 ([Alt] + 0145). Of course, the author of the font determines the position of each character. In DCADWIN.msg, there are lines that allow you to define the mapping of special characters including...

- Diameter Symbol
- Degrees Symbol
- Plus/Minus Symbol

These lines tell DataCAD which characters to use when changing a font from TrueType to SHX and vice versa. There are also lines for mapping the degrees and plus/minus characters when translating to and from DWG files.

(1)317|140ª{ character number for the diameter symbol SHX fonts }
(1)318|145ª{ character number for the degrees symbol SHX fonts }

(3)459|176ª{ character number for the degrees symbol in TTF fonts}

(4)495|50ª{ character number for the squared symbol in SHX fonts, use 132 for superscripted 2 }
(4)496|178ª{ character number for the squared symbol in TTF fonts }
(4)497|51ª{ character number for the cubed symbol in SHX fonts, use 133 for superscripted 3 }
(4)498|179ª{ character number for the cubed symbol in TTF fonts }

(5)135|216ª{ character number for the diameter symbol in TTF fonts}
(5)136|146ª{ character number for the Plus/Minus symbol SHX fonts }
(5)137|146ª{ character number for the Plus/Minus symbol in TTF fonts}
(5)138|177ª{ ACAD character number for the Plus/Minus symbol SHX fonts}
(5)139|186ª{ ACAD character number for the Degrees symbol SHX fonts }
#75987 by joshhuggins
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:47 am
Roger D wrote:tried the macros. 1st one seemed to work. 2nd version gave me a stack overflow and no output.
Same here.
#75993 by dhs
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:26 pm
Roger D wrote:
tried the macros. 1st one seemed to work. 2nd version gave me a stack overflow and no output.

Same here (when I try it now)! Not sure what happened but have recompiled same source code and it works, so attaching newly compiled version for anybody that is interested.
Of course, you don't really need it. Just use the first macro and then change the font (by group) to whatever you want (or forget the macro and use the Mark Toce drawing posted by Alan and likewise change the font to whatever you want). Personally I find the column format produced by the macro easier to refer to, but that is a pretty minor point.

I had never used the Alt key method to enter these characters so gave it a try. Couldn't get it to work at all to start with (was using the number keys above the qwerty side of the keyboard). Then I tried the numeric keypad and that worked as expected (Alt + 0127 produced the degree symbol in the ROMANS font).
Attachments
(490 Bytes) Downloaded 660 times
#75997 by Eric Murray
Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:52 pm
ALT-0145 works fine for the SHX font that I am using. Wondering why I don't see the DataCAD font in the TTF list. it is not in the Set Text Parameters dialog box or in the Character Map. Also, where do I find the DCADWIN.msg file?
#75998 by Eric Murray
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:23 pm
Thanks for the Character Map.aec file, Alan. There's a lot of extended characters in there. I believe these will not work for TTF fonts, just CHR or SHX fonts. Since I am using SHX fonts, they will work for me.
#76001 by Roger D
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:06 am
When in doubt with TTF fonts, open work, insert symbol, and see what the character map for that font shows, looking for the ascii code at bottom right of dialog box.
#76015 by Roger D
Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:22 pm
should be in
DataCAD 20\Support Files\Messages and Labels
unless you installed dcad 20 elsewhere.
#76017 by Eric Murray
Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:58 pm
Good point, Roger! Still wondering why I don't have DataCAD True Type Fonts in my lists though. They are not in my character map or my set text parameters box pull down display list within DataCAD. Is it maybe because I have 20 LT? I do have all 23 SHX fonts, but not TTF DataCAD. With TTF DataCAD, I would be able to go to my character map and get all of the ALT+key codes there. Thank you! P.S. Do I need to purchase these? I have watched a video where Mark Madura went to his character map and found "DataCAD" in the list. Also, the manual shows the "DataCAD" font on page 324.