Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#77242 by ORWoody
Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:55 pm
Tonight, I had something happen that I can't begin to figure out how it could happen as it did.
I have a drawing that I have been working on daily for forty five days or so and the file is nearly a complete set of residential drawings. Tonight when I exited DataCAD, I got the Windows "Not Responding" message with the faded screen.
Finally, when DataCAD had closed, I went back to just check and found what is the strangest thing that I've seen in a long time.
All of the DataCAD files in the folder were all from last month. The Drawing file was dated 10-31-19. The back-up file was dated 10-30-19. The three sessions folders and files were dated 10-29-19 and so on. The really odd thing is that I go in and out of that drawing several times each day and save every time. Why the day separation on the drawing/back-up is really odd, plus the folder dates being kicked back also is inexplicable.
What hurts is that I do the one file drawing for a complete set of drawings. Fortunately, I had just done a plot of a check set an hour or so before the big event.
Does anyone have an idea as to what happened to cause that failure? I have no reason to think that it's DataCAD related.
Woody
#77243 by ORWoody
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:41 pm
I love DataCAD.
The folks there know that glitches will occur so they give so many options/ways to recover drawings... even when the glitch is not their fault.
I used my DataCAD 21 to go through every back-up, swap, etc. One of them opened and the most that I could have lost is no more than a few minutes work.
After saving, I re-opened the file in DataCAD 20, just to check.
The only reason that I was using Ver. 20 was there was a bug mentioned about XRefs not sticking in Ver. 21. Has that been rectified? If it has, I'll move to using Ver. 21.
Thanks,
Woody
#77244 by joshhuggins
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:57 pm
I haven't had any major issues with v21, or xrefs for that matter. I think Neil had some issues, but not sure if they were drawing specific or not. Hopefully he will chime in too. I would say the new features have their same level of growing pains as going from v19 to v20 or any previous major release upgrades. There can always be hiccups but Dave and crew fix them up pretty quick usually when we can provide them with info they need. v21 has been one of my favorite versions with it's new features especially with the Symbol Layer controls and GTV Linking. If you have been ok with previous major updates in the past, I think you would do just fine with this the next v21 update which is getting close to being wrapped up.
#77247 by ORWoody
Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:14 pm
Thank you.
I thought that it was Neil that had mentioned the issue. You and Neil are who I want to be when I grow up so whatever either one of you says about DataCAD is cast in stone as far as I am concerned.
From now on, it's V21.
Woody
#77248 by joshhuggins
Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:27 pm
ORWoody wrote:Thank you.
I thought that it was Neil that had mentioned the issue. You and Neil are who I want to be when I grow up so whatever either one of you says about DataCAD is cast in stone as far as I am concerned.
From now on, it's V21.
Woody

:lol: You hear that Neil, I think he just called us old! :wink: