Use this forum to ask questions about DataCAD 21 and DataCAD LT 21.
#77324 by Jeff Moore
Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:58 pm
We are looking to purchase a new computer for the office. What would be the recommended computer specs to run DataCAD 21 on? We do use a lot of xrefs.

Thanks.
#77329 by Neil Blanchard
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:52 am
I would get a quad core CPU (at least) and with 32GB of RAM, and an SSD boot drive. AMD Ryzen CPUs are back on top, so to speak for performance and price vs Intel. XRefs use a lot of network bandwidth, if you are using a server/NAS. The fast CPU and RAM will help in printing situations - XRefs and big MSP sheets will be much quicker.
#81101 by abanov
Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:12 pm
I'm looking into a laptop to take Datacad with me when I travel. Are Intel Iris graphics cards adequate? I've always heard NVIDIA.
#81108 by MtnArch
Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:21 pm
Personally I swear by NVIDIA and swear at Intel ... but that's a personal choice!

:wink:
#81111 by joshhuggins
Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:30 am
If the Nvidia is within your budget, go Nvidia, hands down. Usually the cost difference is worth the investment. Intel Iris should work fine with Datacad I would bet though and would not sweat it if you had to go Intel. Other apps for processing 3D graphics / image / video will normally have advanced processing / coding built in for Nvidia hardware and will function better on Nvidia hardware. Also Nvidia's drivers are less in your face than Intel's.
#81135 by Neil Blanchard
Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:35 am
It seems like modern hardware is generally much better at running DataCAD than it used to be? For a laptop I would recommend looking at Framework - they are fully repairable and upgradable. Everything is accessible and screws into place - battery, display, keyboard, touchpad, ports, motherboard, etc. If you "assemble" a few parts, you save $300 buying it.

https://frame.work/