Use this forum to ask questions about DataCAD 21 and DataCAD LT 21.
#83078 by barry jones
Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:52 pm
Never had a problem with this before, but suddenly I can't access my Symbols folder without DataCAD locking up.
DC stops responding as soon as I hit "Folder". I'm only able access the directories within "Recent folders". I'm using
current update of DC 21 and running Win 10, and have made no recent changes to the computer.

I haven't tried reinstalling yet, thought I would see if anyone else has experienced and/or resolved this?

DC folder crash.jpg

Thanks in advance.
#83079 by barry jones
Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:16 pm
Since my original post earlier today, I uninstalled and reinstalled with no luck ... still crashes. Also ruled out a bad .aec file by opening previous jobs and creating new files from scratch with the same bad outcome.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
#83080 by MtnArch
Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:25 am
Call Clay at Tech Support (860-217-0567), though you may have to pay since you're not up on V23.
#83081 by dhs
Sat Jun 29, 2024 3:02 pm
Hi Barry,

I have never had a similar problem, but make the following suggestions in case they are helpful:

Is it possible that the Browse Folder window is opening up somewhere that is outside your screen area? This would be most likely if you had changed your monitor configuration. Try pressing the <Esc> key when DataCAD is locked up (this should dismiss the open window even if it is off the screen). If that works then there are ways of moving the window back onto the screen (alt/space bar/m will put Windows into a mode where you can use arrow keys to move the active window, or if you don't know which direction it needs to be moved then you can select to cascade windows from the right click menu on your task bar)

It would also be worth checking the [SymbolBrowser] section of your DCADWIN.ini file (open it in a text editor whilst DataCAD is not running - take a backup copy beforehand just in case you make changes you need to revert). I don't really know what to look for other than just saying look for 'something unusual'. The most relevant entries are probably BrowseType (my file has 'BrowseType=FOLDER') and Resizable Folder Browser (my file has 'Resizable Folder Browser=True'). Also check that any folder names shown for other entries correctly identify folders that exist on your machine.

Hope these suggestions are helpful.
#83085 by joshhuggins
Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:35 pm
When you see what looks like the system freezing it's most likely that the popup dialog to select your folder is off-screen somewhere. When that happens, without moving your mouse, on your keyboard, tap in sequence ALT, SPACE, M, and then any ARROW key. This will attach the window to your mouse cursor and then you can move your mouse and the window will move with your mouse and you can reposition the window back on the screen and click to locate it where you want and then resize the window if needed. This will work for most standard Windows applications.
#83092 by barry jones
Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:04 pm
Thank you Josh, your suggestion worked like a charm! On my original post, I should have mentioned that I use a dual monitor setup. :roll:

I'm back to normal, but I found a decent work around by modifying the DCADWIN ini file > [SymbolBrowser] > "Max Favorites=65" > and adding all of my symbol directories to be favorites.

Thanks again to all that replied,