Use this forum to ask questions about DataCAD 21 and DataCAD LT 21.
#77272 by DBrennfoerder
Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:48 pm
My techie wants me to migrate to Office 365 and says I'd be working out of OneDrive instead of "my documents". I have my DataCAD files stored under my own "Documents" folder, my draftsman allows DataCAD to store files in it's own file structure, so maybe it wouldn't affect either of us. We use Carbonite for emergency off-site storage and recovery, but we don't work out of there. Does anyone store their working files online at a location such as OneDrive? Seems like a potential pain to me, like what if I don't have internet access at a campsite? Seems like xRef's would become cumbersome.
Your advice?
#77273 by dhs
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:02 pm
OneDrive allows you to work off-line without any problems. The files are stored locally, typically in a directory such as C:\Users\<username>\OneDrive but are also automatically synced to the online storage when you are on-line. You can also configure some internet connections as 'metered' to stop OneDrive automatically syncing when using those connections (to reduce data usage on those connections).
#77274 by joshhuggins
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:02 pm
It works fine, I use it in this fashion. The main thing I would set is to have the following setting turned off so you are not waiting for files to sync on demand. Your paths for existing xrefs that currently live in your My Documents folder will need to be redefined to the new location under the One Drive\My Documents folder. Once it's set everything should work the same, but you will have the advantage of having a live backup on OneDrive that you can access remotely if needed. The change is basically just the My Documents, Pictures and Desktop folders moved one folder deeper into the User\Onedrive folder vs being in the User\ folder.

It's mainly a mental issue of getting used to the files living one folder down for me.
Attachments
2019-11-19_095357.png
2019-11-19_095357.png (16.21 KiB) Viewed 3426 times