Use this forum to ask questions about DataCAD 21 and DataCAD LT 21.
#77873 by chunter@vineyard.net
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:54 am
Hi
Since I have upgraded to DCAD 21 I am unable to open many DWG files - particularly those from auto cad users who are on the subscription/continuous update plan. They are also unable to open my converted from DCAD to DWG files.

When I attempt to open in DCAD 21 it says "failed to open DXF/DWG file". If I attempt to open in DCAD 17 it will often appear to open the file but all layers are empty and nothing is visible. When the autocad user back-dates to 2010 version DCAD 17 opens file as it normally would

If the autocad user "back-dates" their file to 2010 I can open it with DCAD 17 but they still can't open my files. I share a lot of files with engineers and other designers and have never had a problem before - but it's a significant problem now - any suggestions???
#77874 by MtnArch
Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:16 pm
If the Acad users are using a specific package (Architectural, Civil 3D, etc.) they likely have 'Proxy' objects that the translators have a hard time with. Make sure you have the Acad'rs explode all proxy objects before they send them, or (as you've seen) have them dumb it down to 2007 or 2010 format which seems to convert the proxies.

Acad has also instituted a process where they identify whether a file was created originally in Acad or is a translation (or was created with one like BricsCAD) and puts up a fuss about it. Either they aren't opening the files because Acad says it's not a good file or possibly Acad has been set to not accept those files. Have you tried having someone with another Acad clone program take a look at your exported files? If you PM me I'll take a look at it in BricsCAD V21 (latest) to see if there are any other issues.
#77878 by Mark Bell
Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:26 pm
You can also use Autodesk's free DWG Trueview https://www.autodesk.com.au/products/dwg/viewers then import into DataCAD for any stubborn DWG's. Sometimes the DWG could be a revit to DWG export which isn't as 'clean' as a standard AutoCAD DWG export.