Use this forum to ask questions about DataCAD 21 and DataCAD LT 21.
#77961 by DBrennfoerder
Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:32 am
Now that virtual meetings are much more commonplace via NetMeeting, GoToMeeting, Zoom, etc. How about have your regular meeting online so some of us elsewhere on the globe can attend?
#77966 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:40 am
Dwight, that is an excellent suggestion. We had talked about a gathering after Evan died, but that only got to an aspirational stage - we had an offer to host and provide a dinner.

A number of folks only heard about Evan passing - ironically, he was the person making it possible for the DBUG forum to function, so my posts telling people the sad news, never went anywhere.

Who has a paid version of Zoom (or Go To Meeting) that we can use for a virtual DBUG meeting?
#77972 by David Porter
Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:59 am
I use Google Meets and I have a Google Suites account (a hefty $6/month) that allows me to host Google Meets. I find it a little better to operate than Zoom. Last week, I was on a group public committee meeting with 49 people on the video conference and the next day another meeting with 46 on the video conference. With the "Brady bunch" grid view, I could see every participant. The meetings went off without a hitch. All clear video and audio and a sharing of a screen to review documents.

The key I found to a good Meets meeting is for everyone who is not speaking to mute their mics through the app. Very productive conversations that way and no background noise of barking dogs or crying babies or loud TVs. When one person unmutes a mic, as the conductor of the meeting, I knew when someone wanted to speak.

If Dbug wanted to have a worldwide meeting this way, I am OK with hosing the meeting through my Google account but I quite honestly don't have the available time to pull the meeting together, set a day and time, accumulate all of the email addresses for those interested so they can be sent Google invites with the meeting log in info, etc.
#77982 by Neil Blanchard
Mon May 04, 2020 9:08 am
I have not heard of Google Meets - and having more than 25 people on the screen at once could be good, if everybody / most people have big monitors.

Is there any requirements for each individual participant, like a gmail account, or installing a client program?
#77983 by David Porter
Mon May 04, 2020 12:35 pm
Anyone with a Gmail account or not can join a meeting. I think there is a small Google Meets program to download. I have also used Zoom for the same types of meetings but I find Google Meets to be easier to use, better audio and video quality, and a quicker learning curve. For attendees, they just click on the meeting link provided to them in an email sent by the meeting organizer. On the organizer's end, he/she receives an "admit" or "do not admit" request when a new person signs on for the meeting. Attendees can attend by just video, video and audio, or just audio like in a conference call.

In the meeting I had with 49 attendees (and then a second meeting the next day with 46 attendees) at least half were non-computer and internet polished and they were still able to navigate through the simple log on to be a part of the meeting.
#77984 by Roger D
Mon May 04, 2020 12:44 pm
In addition to above, I'll be attending my 1st Microsoft Teams for a webinar
https://is.gd/a3AG1R
Been also attending board meetings via BlueJeans.com
#77985 by David Porter
Mon May 04, 2020 12:52 pm
One other answer to Neil's point about viewing screen size. I only have a 23" diagonal screen and it was very comfortable seeing all 49 attendees on the screen at once in the "grid view."
Attachments
CORC Virtual meeting 4-23-20.png