Use this forum to ask questions about DataCAD 21 and DataCAD LT 21.
#77988 by Neil Blanchard
Tue May 05, 2020 7:35 am
As long as many of us have been using DataCAD, it is not uncommon for us to find something that we did not know about. I just looked in the Settings menu to set the size of the cursor to be larger than the default size - and right above Big Cursor - there is Fat Cursor!

How long has Fat Cursor been there?

The default is to make the cursor 2 pixels thick (vs the 1 pixel that is standard). And this makes it very easy to see the cursor when it is near a lot of lines. And there is a small "dot" at the very center, so you can still get good accuracy with it.
#77989 by Roger D
Tue May 05, 2020 8:52 am
A quick search of Revision History for "fat cursor"
DataCAD 21.01.03 Enhancements
2. A new option, Fat Cursor, has been added to the 2D Settings menu. Toggle this option On to
set the weight of the drawing cursor larger than the default of 1; the maximum value is 9.
Setting the weight of the cursor to a value of 3 can be helpful when drawing over bitmaps
and fills that otherwise make the cursor hard to see.

Reminds me that sometimes I just reread Revision History and What's new to see what I had missed.
#77994 by Neil Blanchard
Tue May 05, 2020 2:15 pm
Thanks for looking this up, Roger.

Roger D wrote:A quick search of Revision History for "fat cursor"
DataCAD 21.01.03 Enhancements
2. A new option, Fat Cursor, has been added to the 2D Settings menu. Toggle this option On to
set the weight of the drawing cursor larger than the default of 1; the maximum value is 9.
Setting the weight of the cursor to a value of 3 can be helpful when drawing over bitmaps
and fills that otherwise make the cursor hard to see.

Reminds me that sometimes I just reread Revision History and What's new to see what I had missed.

At least I only missed it for a short while.

Another new feature that people may not have gotten to yet - is the automatic image conversion of PDFs.
#78051 by Neil Blanchard
Sat May 16, 2020 10:04 pm
Sure thing - it is on the Insert menu - PDF and you can then do a fixed size or variable. At the very bottom of the Insert menu, is the PDF resolution setting - you will probably want 300dpi and see how that goes. 600dpi can slow down your file, and sometimes 100dpi looks too rough. There is a Reconvert all that change the resolution of all that you have inserted - or it can be used to *update* all the PDFs.

If you update the PDF, and you want the new version as the image in DataCAD, use the Reconvert All.
#78052 by Rudy Smolders
Sun May 17, 2020 12:13 am
We must be talking about different Datacads because in mine under the insert menu there is no such feature :( At the very bottom of the insert menu is Symbol layer control. Strange. Are you on the same version as I am? 21.02.09.00
#78058 by joshhuggins
Mon May 18, 2020 2:14 am
Rudy Smolders wrote:We must be talking about different Datacads because in mine under the insert menu there is no such feature :( At the very bottom of the insert menu is Symbol layer control. Strange. Are you on the same version as I am? 21.02.09.00

Do you have the subscription edition Rudy?
#78059 by Rudy Smolders
Mon May 18, 2020 3:26 am
Okay I understand, I have a regular one. That's a shame because this would be an useful enhancement. So does this mean that this feature will only be exclusive to the holder of the subscription edition or will it be incorporated in the next version or update of Dcad?
#78060 by joshhuggins
Mon May 18, 2020 11:53 am
Any enhancements released during the v.21 life cycle will show up for non-subscription versions in the next major release so you would receive it in v22.
#80450 by Ted B.
Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:16 pm
Oh. My. Gods.... I have to try.
I nearly went blind tracing a site plan from a Google Earth image just last week. I kept losing the cursor cross-hair in the existing image underneath....
#80456 by Mark F. Madura
Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:51 pm
Ted B. wrote:Oh. My. Gods.... I have to try.
I nearly went blind tracing a site plan from a Google Earth image just last week. I kept losing the cursor cross-hair in the existing image underneath....

This is what the Fat Cursor is for...
Utility ---> Settings ---> Fat Cursor