Use this forum to ask questions about DataCAD 21 and DataCAD LT 21.
#79333 by dmartens
Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:07 pm
I am starting to try and update our symbols to take advantage of the symbol layer control. One question I have is if we insert multiple symbols (with per instance selected) is there a way to change the layer settings for those symbols all at once or do I have to ctrl_rt click each one. I know there is the per definition setting but we don't always know ahead of time if all the items will be handled the same. Thank you.

Dan
#79334 by joshhuggins
Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:16 pm
There is a Apply to All Instances check box in the Symbol Layer Control Dialog that should do it for ya and it gives you options to refine how your current layer changes will be applied by ACTIVE (just the symbols on the current Active layer), ON (All Layers that are currently turned on) or ALL (updates all the instances of that symbol on every layer in the drawing).
Attachments
2021-02-04_111336.jpg
2021-02-04_111336.jpg (66.5 KiB) Viewed 3385 times
#79335 by dmartens
Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:53 pm
Thanks Josh. I should have worded my question better. I was wondering if I could just change some of the symbols at once but not all. Say change 6 of the 12 definitions of that symbol in the drawing. Also if I insert symbol A 6 times with per definition set and then insert it 6 more times with per instance will it handle the per def symbols differently than the per instance symbols? I hope I can get this to work but there always seems to be one problem that makes it too much of a hassle to incorporate into our work. Thanks for the reply.

Dan
#79336 by joshhuggins
Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:47 pm
The the Insert menu's Symbol Layer Control options for None, Per Definition, Per Instance is drawing specific and whatever it is set to will be applied to all of the symbols in the drawing so you can have symbols so you can't have some with Per Definition and some of Per Instance settings active at the same time.

As for changing the state of a select group of specific symbols the only method currently is by the Active, On, All layer settings in the Symbol Control Manage at this time. This would be a nice addition to the Symbol Redefine tool to match the Symbol Layer Control values of the symbol being used for the Redefine source.

In the meantime, how I would approach it is to move the desired symbols to a fairly empty or new layer, I usually use my Border layer which is pretty sparse, set that layer active only and then use the SLM's Active layer option and then move the symbols back to their original layer.
#79337 by dmartens
Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:53 pm
Thanks again Josh. The layer thing is what I was thinking too. This way I can isolate whichever I want. Have a great day.

Dan