Use this forum to ask questions about DataCAD 21 and DataCAD LT 21.
#79444 by Lars
Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:06 pm
Is it possible in Dcad to set up a master file (maybe a spreadsheet) that can control form fields in aec files? I'm looking to create something similar to Acad's sheet set manager if anyone knows what that is... a way to do that would be great! I want to automate as much as possible to save me time in the long run. Not just a master xref with text in layers. I want it to be smart. Tracking detail markers in other files would be a necessity eventually as well.
#79445 by joshhuggins
Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:43 pm
The closest thing I have been able to do is to use Symbols Attributes that have database lookups that refer to a simple database file. It works ok for simple things but you can only do a single lookup per symbol.

I would love to see improvements along these lines as I think these types of simple data driven improvements would be easier to add into Datacad since most of it is just referencing raw data. Having a database file that multiple drawing files could draw from as a external reference file (Data Xref) for info about the project with more complex lookups would be a great start. I think informational database improvements would benefit the bulk of Datacad's current core market base more than improvements to the 3D stuff at this point and would be able to add value quicker to the program. 3D is important, I just don't know how long it's going to take Datacad to make the current Smart 3D workflow viable at this rate. I know the team over at Datacad has had a rough these last couple of years with the loss of Dave so I have not pushed my wishes as much as before to give them some breathing room. I have had this idea of a central project based database as a major wish for some time now. It's been typed up on my computer waiting to be posted here on the forum's wishlist thread, maybe I'll post it up soon. I know they must still adjusting and re-organizing plans for Datacad, I am just not sure what those plans are going to look like going forward at this point. Hopefully we will hear something soon as it's been pretty quite.