Use this forum to ask questions about DataCAD 21 and DataCAD LT 21.
#80613 by Ted B.
Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:12 pm
My PC is starting to pester me about upgrading to Windows-11. Any thoughts or issues for Dcad-21 or Dcad-22??

I read that the Sketch-up people say don't upgrade yet. Which I assume means they haven't finished vetting Win-11....not that there are major issues.
#80614 by MtnArch
Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:27 pm
I think Josh has been playing with it nicely for a while .. hopefully he will chime in soon.

Out of all of the computers we have (mine, my wife's, my son's, etc.) only my laptop says it is compatible with W11. I, too, have heard from quite a few that are more knowledgeable than I that for all of the bells and whistles, it may not be worth upgrading to.
#80615 by joshhuggins
Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:07 pm
Hi Ted and Alan,

I would guess there is a 98.72% chance everything will go fine and it will run all your programs if you were running Windows 10 successfully before. The upgrade to Windows 11 is more like a small update rather than a upgrade to a new major version of Windows version. Yes the interface gets a refresh and most of it is nice, but there was some things like how the taskbar and context menus work that would have been deal breakers for me if I had not come across some friendly hacks which brings back some of the old style menus and functions. If I did not have to support other users, I would have downgraded back to Windows 10 myself. Actually, in fact I actually did after my first 15 mins with it before I realized I would need to figure things out to support my users. My solution so far has been using a combination of Start 11 by StarDock and an open source project called Explorer Patcher which has been a godsend.

The underlying core of Windows 11 is primarily the same as Windows 10, but unless you have a compelling reason to upgrade I would still hold off a bit. There is a Windows 11 update coming in Feb but it's still missing the return of some major removed items in my opinion. I would watch some review videos on YouTube to see if you would like the interface changes or not first. Then if you think the simplified interface would work for you, maybe wait a couple of months after the February update is released. If all goes well with that, then upgrade at that time.

You are not missing out on anything important if you do not upgrade to Windows 11. Windows 10 should be supported thru 2025, so you have plenty of time. :wink: