Use this forum to ask questions about DataCAD 22 and DataCAD LT 22.
#80550 by cblair
Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:36 pm
Is anyone using either a piece of hardware or a service to obtain laser scans of residential structures? To generate plans and elevations?

Thank you.
-Chris Blair
#80554 by Mark Bell
Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:49 am
We looked into photogrammetry software several years ago but the project didn't go ahead. Here's some links which may be helpful-

https://hover.to/ - you can use your smart phone

https://all3dp.com/1/best-photogrammetry-software/
#80556 by David Porter
Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:43 pm
I looked into it but for my smaller scale residential reno work (could be a kitchen and could be a whole house gut job), I found the laser scanning services and output to be too pricey and too accurate. By too accurate, I mean that the laser process for a single room captures millions of points of data to then generate the output drawings. Way too tight of a tolerance for what I want to start my DataCAD drawings from. I don't want millimeter accuracy or tolerance in my CAD drawings for a reno job. I have remained using my laser tape measure and a clipboard to do my own as-built field surveys as a one-man show. I also then get a very intuitive feel for what all of the rooms feel like for the next stage of my work.
#80588 by cblair
Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:29 pm
Thank you Mark.
David, yes it integrates the project into the brain. I get that. I see lots of software paired with Apple platforms.
Some of the very functional cameras (RIcho Theta Z1 are in the $1,000 range. But I can't seem to discover the
software pair. I presume the services are pricing for scans of malls, GCT, office floors and the like.

Thank you.