Use this forum to ask questions about DataCAD 22 and DataCAD LT 22.
#79382 by Bob Urbanek
Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:21 am
I have a wall with 2 windows in it. If I either move or stretch the window location, the window is no longer transparent ,but shows the siding. same thing, if I move or stretch the wall only. same thing if I stretch the wall and windows together. I have tried erasing the wall and windows,and re-drawing them. I get the same result. Any Ideas? I did a repair, and it found 3 invalid entities, but I'm still having the same problem.
#79385 by Mark Bell
Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:14 pm
Hi Bob,
I've had this issue myself and some fixes are below. What seems to happen is the window comes out of alignment with the wall resulting in the wall showing over the window - the window is no longer inserted inside the wall.

A/ In the Architect / Walls / Reassociate menu, pick the wall then the window and this may reinsert the window back into the smart wall,

B/ Another method is to pick Edit, Cut, select the window, then Edit, Paste and reinsert the window by the window's Current/original layer and absolute zero,

C/ With the window in its correct position ready to be moved along the wall:
1. When stretching or moving a window along a wall, one way to ensure you move the window in the correct alignment is to to use B-Tangent (press B keyboard shortcut and touch a wall) which changes the crosshair to match the wall angle (Utility / Geometry / Tangents / then touch the wall). also turn on Ortho to lock the crosshair to the new alignment,
2. I use Relative Cartesian so then left pick anywhere on the screen, press the space bar and enter the X or Y value which corresponds to the wall alignment and enter the distance you want to move the window. This is shown at the bottom of the screen readout when you move the crosshair along the wall. You can also turn on Show X and Y crosshair displays in the Grids/S4 menu. You can also zoom in and snap to the window then another point along the same alignment further along the wall, if you don't know the distance to move the window,
3. When done press 'B" to go to the Tangent menu then F3 to cancel and return the crosshair to normal alignment,

D/ With the window already out of alignment after you've moved it:
1. Pick 'B' tangents and touch the wall to align your crosshair with the wall and turn on Ortho,
2. Zoom in to the window and move it out from the wall a short distance,
3. Using Move, snap to the corner frame of the window, then snap to the wall where the frame should be located once inserted and again snap to the wall location, then select the window. It sometimes helps to draw a temporary 2D line in the correct alignment from the window to the wall so the snap is exactly on the smart wall-line position and I've found in most cases the window re-inserts itself,
#79416 by dmartens
Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:16 pm
Been hearing this one for a long time. Wouldn't the easiest thing be for Datacad to fix the problem?! Yet another reason we don't use smart entities. Can't afford to spend time on something so basic as a window staying in the wall. Good luck.

Dan
#79417 by Bob Urbanek
Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:52 pm
Yeah, I can usually figure out my problems. Quite often they are caused by Yours Truly. I only ask the Forum after I have wasted a lot of time. This time, Mark Bell helped a lot. I guess my main complaint concerning smart walls, is that you can't add a vertex. My main problem in general is that since I upgraded to V22, the program crashes a lot, for different reasons.I try to remember to save often.
Bob
#79418 by Roger D
Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:03 pm
but you can add a vertex.
Architect / Edit wall / add vertex A F2 F1
#79420 by Bob Urbanek
Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:48 pm
Yeah Roger, I didn't explain myself properly. I meant to say that while in an elevation view, it would be nice to add a vertex to the top of a wall, and then stretch it up to create a gable. Also, to be able to stretch the height of each end of the wall, independently. Like with polygons.
#79421 by Roger D
Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:30 pm
I just draw a polyline with the same material. Sometimes it plan view I have to move it back to the same plane.