Use this forum to ask questions about DataCAD 22 and DataCAD LT 22.
#80493 by DBrennfoerder
Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:19 pm
Well, bummer.
Must be Biden's fault.
Now my o2c won't render by color. I pick either option and the only result is that it always renders by layer.
I found settings in 2 places; neither makes any difference.

Help?
#80494 by MtnArch
Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:40 pm
#80495 by DBrennfoerder
Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:52 pm
I'm logged in, but I get:

"You are not authorized to read this forum"

Is this a beta user only forum topic?
#80498 by MtnArch
Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:45 pm
Oops .. it is in the Beta forum! I'll copy the message text that David Porter posted in a moment.
#80499 by MtnArch
Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:47 pm
Here's what David posted:

"What Mark Madura explained to me is that when the DCAD materials file is missing from the Support files, models in o2c will not show their layer colors. I am attaching a screenshot graphic I put together after I got this important info from Mark. Maybe it will help and maybe not."
#80500 by DBrennfoerder
Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:02 am
I'm not sure that's the problem.
I have a "Materials" folder and a "Support Files" folder under the main folder in each version: v19, v20, v21 and v22. There is no materials file under "Support Files"
In each version, the "Materials" folder is about 12-13M in size with about 1300 files and 66-68 folders.
In each version, the "Support Files" folder is about 13M in size with about 2550 files and 25-42 folders.

As a test this morning, I opened my 3d file in v19 and o2c worked properly, showing material by color. I closed the file without save.
Then, I opened the same file in v22 and o2c shows only materials by layer, even though View/Rendering/Material by Color is check marked.

I guess I'll be working old school today. Gotta get this done.
#80976 by dksargert
Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:33 pm
Greetings, Its been a while....
Just upgraded from DCX3 to DC22 and am frustrated with the operation of o2c.
I can get it to run the FIRST TIME on both simple and VERY Complex Models but it crashes EVRERY TIME when opening the second time regardless of the simplicity of the model!
This is a production killer!
I'm sure it's a "setup thing" from my end but I'll be darned if I can figure out why this would be happening?
Any thoughts appreciated.
DKS
#80978 by DBrennfoerder
Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:09 pm
David, I don't know about your issue, but I had so much of a problem with v22 that I dropped back to v21 and have had no issues at all. Maybe they can exchange your version to v21 for a fix.
#80980 by Mark Bell
Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:41 pm
dksargert wrote:I'm back to Version x3........SO FRUSTRATED!

This doesn't seem right. One of the guys on my team had some repeating issues of crashes and the problem was traced back to Windows and corruptions in the system. I get almost guaranteed file crashes after using O2C then using SunShader which seemed to have crept in towards the end of v20 / start of v21. Other than that DataCAD is very stable. I'd have someone check your PC over as you may need to update old drivers and other system files?
#80981 by dksargert
Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:12 pm
Brand new “Smokin” Orbital Laptop with W10...
..the crazy thing on my end is the o2c files large or small open in monotone ONCE regardless of size but crash o2c if opened again. Also none of my saved *.o2c files open at all....All the Materials files and support files are there (as with previous) , I only noticed it as I use o2c as a precheck as I model......I’m back to my old W7 DCx3 until this can get straightened out....Bummed.
#80982 by DBrennfoerder
Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:18 pm
TRC-11.jpg
David, I have another option for you: I use Kerkythea for my renderings. They are nowhere near as nice as the ones that you create, but Kerkythea can be very easy to use. There is a free version that was out in 2008 that is still available on sites. They have a high-end renderer called Thea Render that is the fully developed version of Kerkythea. I bought it and tried to learn it, but the learning curve was too much for my 70+ brain, so I've stayed with Kerkythea for renders and animations. You can stay with v22 of DataCAD and then export your 3d model as a 3ds file, then import it into Kerkythea and render.
I have a very simple cheat sheet that lists about 6 steps to make it work, so it's not quite as fast as using o2c, but I can't use it for simple renders most of the time. There is some issue with certain planes that makes them shade with a dark diagonal band across the surface when I generate shadows. It confuses the client when they can't visualize a flat surface there.
I can give you the link for Kerkythea and my cheat sheet; I'd even be willing to do a video call and walk you through it; easy peasy.
Best thing is, Kerkythea replicates DataCAD's colors very well, so if you've developed your model with representative colors, they will appear nicely in K. However, if you use a color, say dark gray, for paving on one layer, and dark gray for shingles on another layer, they all import as one dark gray object. All imports are grouped only be color upon import. Layers don't make any difference. I make sure to separate my building elements by color; FYI, colors are easily manipulated in K.; you can even add seamless textures, but again, if you change the dark gray to a shingle image, the driveway changes also. The very easy work-around is to export the gray shingle in one operation, than add a new 3ds file with your gray paving later. Doing it this way creates 2 different objects of the same color that can be treated differently. Not a big problem.
Essentially, you export your 3d model as a .3ds file ( 5 seconds max), open Kerkythea, import the .3ds model (nothing appears until you zoom in/out, then the edge lines of every triangle appear (they don't render as lines across a plane). Then zoom out a ways overhead, add a light (5 more seconds) and hit the quick render (5 seconds max). Pretty quick when you think about it. The image is way better than o2c. You can add any number of several kinds of lights, have none, one, or any create shadows, insert a camera at a nice viewpoint so you can replicate the view again later, or add several cameras and create images for a flyby. I use other software to stitch those images into a fly-around.
I'll send you and example on FaceBook.
#80983 by Mark Bell
Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:47 am
dksargert wrote:Brand new “Smokin” Orbital Laptop with W10...
..the crazy thing on my end is the o2c files large or small open in monotone ONCE regardless of size but crash o2c if opened again. Also none of my saved *.o2c files open at all....All the Materials files and support files are there (as with previous) , I only noticed it as I use o2c as a precheck as I model......I’m back to my old W7 DCx3 until this can get straightened out....Bummed.

Another possible option to try is holding down the Ctrl key when selecting the O2C icon to launch Quick-O2C and see whether that works more than once.
#80988 by dksargert
Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:50 pm
Well with the help of Clay at LLC it has been determined that my o2c issues were "self inflicted" as I had migrated o2c Interactive along with my other legacy Datacad Macros, Symbols etc.....I liked o2c Interactive but not THAT much! I am back up and running no more o2c closing up .
Thanks as always to the fabulous support at Datacad LLC!
#81047 by Hubert van Hoof
Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:13 pm
Just HAD TO upgrade to 22 from12 User since 1986, In 12 if I copied from One drawing and imported the copy into another drawing the item copied would leave some part behind when i shifted it to another place. If it was 2d it would be a line ore something in 3D it was an Item. One would think that in ten versions later this would be fixed but NO. o2c is a dog. Have been forced to shut down the computer and rely on a saved drawing to start all over. 3 days in and I amm totally not please with my (Aus)$2,000.00 purchase. Why not provide a driver for 12?????