Use this forum to ask questions about DataCAD 22 and DataCAD LT 22.
#80532 by sunplans
Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:03 pm
Looking to get a Macbook Pro or Air mainly for better syncing with my iPhone which I am using more and more for various business-related tasks.
To run DataCAD, my research shows if I get a Macbook with M1, and intend to run Windows programs such as DataCAD, that I will need to purchase Windows Pro version (about $200) then Parallels software (about $100). If I get Macbook with an Intel chip, I understand that I could use a free or home version of Windows (cost of the software really not the issue here, more just trying to understand the details) and then get the standard version of Parallels (for machines up to 8GB ram). With so many unknowns with DataCAD for me, and probably a few other Windows apps, not sure if I want to go the Macbook Pro M1 16"(16GB RAM) $2500 at the moment. Plus, my 2016 HP Envy x360 (Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.59 GHz) with 8GB RAM, 64 bit is still running fine. So am thinking of trying a Macbook Air 13" 8GB M1 (and purchase a port hub for HDMI for second monitor, ethernet, more USB) with 512 GB SSD hard drive (mainly to make the copy install from my 512 GB PC to Mac ideally less problematic) for about half the price at $1250. Thinking if all works well without a lot of extra time spent figuring out too many new issues, I can upgrade to a more powerful Mac in a couple of years.
Anyone running DataCAD 22 on the Macbook Air M1 setup with feedback, or other comments to share?
#80533 by jerry.headley
Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:47 pm
Debbie,

I’m using DataCAD on a iMac 27” using VMWare Fusion/Win 10 Pro 64 bit without any problems. Switched to Mac back in 2008. Will be upgrading next year to the new version. 1st Mac was a MacBook Pro 17” which is still doing what I need it to do.

One thing I do is buy a refurbished Mac from Apple’s website to save some money & the refurbished models gave the same warranty as a new Mac.