Use this forum to ask questions about DataCAD 22 and DataCAD LT 22.
#80656 by gregg kett
Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:41 am
can anyone tell me where to find the extended characters and/or hot keys for things like degrees , i know is Alt 0127 from keyboard and dia is Alt 0129 .
these were in previous versions as i found some old notes from Datacad 11 which had different numbers assigned to each symbol, but cant find anything in version 22.

thanks
#80657 by joshhuggins
Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:54 am
The general info about them is found on pages 602-603 of the v22 Manual, which can be downloaded from the Datacad website if you don't have it. Some fonts may have slight differences, but most default fonts should be the same.

I have a little cheat sheet that I use to look at all the characters. You can do a Change, Font, by Area and see what your character your font would give you. The file is in a bit of disarray at the moment as I am building a custom font with it, but it should work out for what you need.
Attachments
(172.78 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
#80699 by ORWoody
Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:03 am
It's not that we can control it, but that sounds like a situation where a person could encounter real difficulties on down the line.
An example of something coming back to bite would be where I use a certain font type and export the file as a dwg or dxf. The person that imports the file might use a totally different font and what seemed fine in my file is suddenly incorrect in the target file.
I saw something similar with my use of Archquik. It allows for fraction displays by utilizing seldom used keys such as { and }. I really like it and commonly use it where I am pretty sure that the original file will not be needed for export. Once, when I was asked for an old file to be exported, I quickly obliged and thought nothing much about it. Later, I happened to see a print made by the "asker". One of the text lines had a 1" dimension called out when I knew that the line should have said 1/4". What had happened was that my font displayed a fraction when the pipe key was struck, but his font showed the normal |. Fortunately, that line was immaterial for what the asker wanted. It did scare me a little as I thought about what could have resulted had it been a critical line.
#80701 by joshhuggins
Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:43 pm
ORWoody wrote:It's not that we can control it, but that sounds like a situation where a person could encounter real difficulties on down the line.
An example of something coming back to bite would be where I use a certain font type and export the file as a dwg or dxf. The person that imports the file might use a totally different font and what seemed fine in my file is suddenly incorrect in the target file.
I saw something similar with my use of Archquik. It allows for fraction displays by utilizing seldom used keys such as { and }. I really like it and commonly use it where I am pretty sure that the original file will not be needed for export. Once, when I was asked for an old file to be exported, I quickly obliged and thought nothing much about it. Later, I happened to see a print made by the "asker". One of the text lines had a 1" dimension called out when I knew that the line should have said 1/4". What had happened was that my font displayed a fraction when the pipe key was struck, but his font showed the normal |. Fortunately, that line was immaterial for what the asker wanted. It did scare me a little as I thought about what could have resulted had it been a critical line.

This is very true, and not just for fonts. What we have done to help with these types of issues is we created a Support Pack which is just a ZIP file in which we have saved all of our base files. Things like Fonts (SHX & TTF), images files, title blocks, logos, Datacad & Autocad equivalent versions of our pen tables which are setup to match our DWG export Color Translation tables and a ReadMe file to help the users put the files in the correct place on their systems so they are all set to work on our files. I think there are a few other file types, can't remember off the top of my head right now. :lol: Anywho, we just attach it to any out going sets of files and it helps others a lot to make sure they have what they need so that our files in their office are as close to our files in our office as they can be after the DWG translation.