Use this forum to ask questions about DataCAD 22 and DataCAD LT 22.
#80832 by Mark F. Madura
Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:23 am
Hello,

I don't recall this coming up previously, but would it be useful to hook up the Left Windows key for keyboard shortcuts? This key was first added to Microsoft's Natural Keyboard in 1994, though I think most people either don't know what it's for or don't use it. On some keyboards there's also a Right Windows key and an Applications key which I suppose could also be hooked up.

What do you think? Useful or overkill?

Thank You,

MFM
#80834 by joshhuggins
Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:38 pm
I use mine all the time to launch programs and use several windows key shortcuts. Would not want it to be hard coded in, but if optional and people could set it to what they want like in the DCADWIN.MNU or DCADWIN.MCR files, others would probably really appreciate it.

FWIW, my favorite ⊞ Win + shortcuts are
⊞ Win + E = File Explorer
⊞ Win + D = Show Desktop (Minimize All Windows)
⊞ Win + R = Run Dialog
⊞ Win + L = Lock Computer
⊞ Win + H = Clipboard History
⊞ Win + ; = Emojis :D
⊞ Win + P = Switch Displays
⊞ Win + ← ↑ ↓ → (Arrow Keys) = Window Snap Positions

You can find more Windows 11 ⊞ Win+key shortcuts here.
#80837 by Joseph Baron
Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:12 pm
joshhuggins wrote:...but if optional and people could set it to what they want like in the DCADWIN.MNU or DCADWIN.MCR files, others would probably really appreciate it.

This.
#80839 by David Porter
Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:40 am
Optional is always good. I am so engrained with how my fingers and brain coordinate for any keyboard shortcuts I use for DCAD that I don't see myself switching to using the Windows key to access any DCAD functions. I would probably still want the Windows key to let me use the Windows shortcuts I use it for even while I am using DCAD. The one I use a lot is the Windows key and the D key to clear everything from my monitor to get back to the desktop to click on another program.
#80855 by Dave
Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:50 pm
I use windows+shift/s, windows/r, windows/s, windows/d, windows/L most days

DaveR
#80856 by Joseph Baron
Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:07 am
I think it'll be overkill, may not be worth the effort.

The available options to configure shortcuts with the keyboard shortcuts, the alias file, and toolbars give a lot of flexibility in how someone wants to setup and use DataCAD.

Before the alias file existed we used a system that 'swapped' the MCR file that allowed having multiple keyboard macro files.

Then there's all the wonderful builtin keyboard interrupts that when memorized and used make DataCAD more productive.

In Windows 10 only Winkey+N & Winkey+W are 'open', but in Windows 11 they are used, you can find them all here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/keyboard-shortcuts-in-windows-dcc61a57-8ff0-cffe-9796-cb9706c75eec#WindowsVersion=Windows_10

If there was one thing that I would like to see changed, that would be having a one key alternative to using CTRL+spacebar to open the alias input.
#80860 by joshhuggins
Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:06 pm
Joseph Baron wrote:If there was one thing that I would like to see changed, that would be having a one key alternative to using CTRL+spacebar to open the alias input.

Have you tried using the following INI setting to see if that would work for you?
Code: Select all[General]
Shortcut Keys Invoke Alias=TRUE
#80862 by Joseph Baron
Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:19 pm
Josh,
Thank you very much, I appreciate the info. I don't think I knew about this and it's from way back... :oops:

It will take a little getting used to not using the 'old school' keyboard interrupts but those can be setup for aliases as well, most of them anyway. I'll certainly work with this and see how it shakes out...

If there was one thing that I would like to see changed, that would be having a way to quickly toggle the Shortcut Keys Invoke Alias setting ON & OFF while working on a drawing. :P

EDIT: For some reason having Shortcut Keys Invoke Alias = TRUE seems to obliterate using some keyboard macros.. :x Ok I get it, because keyboard macros use single key interrupts. Maybe somehow keyboard macros can be isolated to not be affected by this INI setting?
#80896 by Joseph Baron
Fri May 06, 2022 2:46 pm
I have realized the obvious answer (for me) in trying to find a one key alternative to using CTRL+spacebar while considering using Shortcut Keys Invoke Alias = TRUE and dealing with the differences that makes with using well known multiple keyboard macro files and builtin keyboard interrupts...

Just set a mouse/trackball button to use specific keystroke = CTRL+spacebar and leave Shortcut Keys Invoke Alias = FALSE.
#80907 by ORWoody
Sun May 15, 2022 7:17 pm
Whine. Whine.
I use a thirty plus year old Northgate (plus two that I have in reserve, just in case) that I bought before Windows was anything more than a gleam in the eye of Bill Gates.Therefore, it doesn't have a Windows key. If DataCAD does end up offering extended macro commands, it would sure be nice if something like Ctrl+Alt could be use as a substitute Windows key.
If I were to say that I have all of the macro commands that I need and the extended option came in, fifteen minutes later, I'd have found a dozen more hot keys that I couldn't live without.
Thanks much,