Use this forum to ask questions about DataCAD 22 and DataCAD LT 22.
#81007 by Paustin
Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:08 pm
TLDR: Datacad not recovering files after freeze, recovered my work manually from the .swp file, can't force-delete u$r files.

Recently having problems where Windows 10 locks up while in Datacad: Complete system freeze; cannot access task manager, and the option is to do a hard power-off and restart. Until recently, it was possible to restart Datacad and recover open files through the proper procedure, and only lose small amounts of work (auto-save set to 15 Min.). Unfortunately now, Datacad does not recover the affected files; the u$r file seems broken and cannot be deleted.

Yesterday, the following happened:

1. Windows locks up. Cursor moves on screen, but nothing is operable in datacad or desktop, and cannot alt-tab or ctrl-tab to any other application or desktop, and ctrl-alt-delete does not start task manager.

2. Power-off and restart computer, which start normally and no windows error messages received.

3. Datacad restarts normally.

4. Two files, which were open at the time of the freeze, will not open from the Datacad menu or via double-clicking in explorer. Datacad does not respond, or give error message.

5. Files which were not in use at the time are able to open normally.

6. I copied the .arf, .arb, .dbk, and .swp, files to a new folder for safety.

7. I was able to rename each of these files to .aec format, and each as able to be opened, so I was able to recover the file contents this way.

8. I returned to the original directory, and attempted to delete the .u$r file, but it will not delete, because it is "in use". Additionally, I cannot force delete the .u$r file using command line or power shell in windows.

9. I quarantined the .uSr files by moving them to a new folder on the same network directory. This solves the problem for now, but I do not want top create a pile of stuck u$r files that will remain there forever...

10. This happened yesterday, and again thins morning, 18 hours later

Note: I have also been experiencing Datacad 22 fatal errors more often than in 21.

System Details:
Dell XPS 8700
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
Installed RAM 12.0 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎3/‎3/‎2021
OS build 19044.1706

Datacad Version 22.01.12.02 (PE)
#81010 by Mark Bell
Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:39 am
This may be unrelated, but best check anyway - open a File Explorer window and select the drive in the left column, then right click and go to Properties/Tools/Check drive for errors and do a scan to see if the hard drive is okay. If it returns okay, you might also do an Optimise.