Use this forum to ask questions about DataCAD 22 and DataCAD LT 22.
#81163 by VDS
Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:54 pm
Who has a shortcut coding file for re-writing the .MCR shortcut hotkeys? I understand the procedure to override the default hotkeys, but am not a "coder" so I am unsure on how to setup the command sequence.

For example, I would like to have ALT+A open the arrow command (rather than the default curves menu). Any help?
#81164 by Joseph Baron
Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:05 pm
A^;^s6^s2^

A = the ALT+key
Put a carat ^ between all keypresses
; semicolon invokes the Edit menu
S6 = Text
S2 = Arrows
Last edited by Joseph Baron on Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#81165 by Joseph Baron
Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:07 pm
Pages 597 & 598 in the DataCAD manual shows defining shortcuts info.
#81166 by VDS
Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:48 pm
Thanks Joseph! Yes, I read the manual but still had a hard time figuring it out. Thanks for your helpful hints- maybe I can make more sense of it now.
#81167 by Joseph Baron
Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:07 pm
Feel free to ask if you have questions.

Basically each 'keypress' is what you would press on the menus like I showed above.

: colon takes you to the Utility menu (these are shown on page 598 in the manual).

So you could have your MCR file open while working on it, then save it before trying each 'step' or 'keypress'.

Copying A^;^s6^s2^ into your MCR file should do what you want.
#81169 by joshhuggins
Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:53 pm
I had a quick tutorial of sorts that might help. Take a look at the ACTIVE type of action codes for use with replaceing the MCR macro strings and hopefuilly it will help shed some light on things a bit.

There are a few characters that are very handy and used repetitively so we are going to look at those first.

^ = (Carrot: Shift+6) Each command in a sequence is separated by a ^.
; = (Semi-Colon) This symbol sets the Datacad menu to the Edit Menu.
: = (Colon) This symbol set the Datacad menu to the Utility Menu.
$ = (Dollar Sign) This acts just like you hit the Enter key. Used when prompted for a name.

Here’s how I figure out what my code needs to be. I Start Datacad up, and say you want the A button for Move, Drag by Area.

Move Drag Area code: A^;^F1^F1^F3^

Steps to create the code.
1. You must always start the code with a ^
2. Next use the ; to make sure Datacad goes to the Edit menu to start the sequence. The ^ is to separate the commands.
3. Now in Datacad Edit Menu, F1 is Move. I add F1^ to my line of code and Hit F1 in Datacad.
4. If you look at the Datacad Menu F1 is now Drag, so I add F1^ to my line of code, and hit F1 in Datacad.
5. If you look at the Datacad Menu F3 is Area, so now we add a F3^.

That’s it. Hopefully you can see the main thing to keep in mind is that you are just writing down what F# keys you are hitting to get where you want Datacad to take you, and separating them with a ^.

During any sequence in an action code, you can call on extended characters to take you directly to specific commands. get a list of the commands here -> Datacad Extended Character Codes Usually these codes will toggle a setting or value. Check out the list and see how you can use them to change user input settings, and other handy tasks.

EDIT: Opps looks like Joseph Baron beat me to it, oh well I'll leave it up any how :D
Last edited by joshhuggins on Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#81171 by VDS
Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:52 pm
Josh, what does the equal sign = mean? I see it was used in your move drag area code…. ?
#81172 by joshhuggins
Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:30 pm
VDS wrote:Josh, what does the equal sign = mean? I see it was used in your move drag area code…. ?
Sorry, that is not supposed to be in there for the MCR file. That is used when creating the same kind of codes for toolbar buttons. I have removed it now.
#81176 by joshhuggins
Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:33 pm
Mark F. Madura wrote:Just get in the WayBack machine... :wink:

https://web.archive.org/web/20210421180210/https://joshhuggins.com/category/datacad/
LOL, that's where I pulled it from too. I need to get my site back up, just been too busy! :lol:
#81197 by ORWoody
Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:35 am
When the Ctrl key became accessible, I went through the drop down menus to see what was directly accessible. Anything that I had set up as a macro, then became a Ctrl key + command (including the aforementioned Arrow... Ctrl + A). At that point, I had a half dozen or more macro key choices available. Between the Alt and Ctrl key accessibility and DataCAD's inherent single key access, I barely go into the menus. Those are mostly now used to set parameters such as entity, group, area, etc.
The big dog might be able to invoke commands with as few picks using icons as does DataCAD, but the cursor flies all over the screen while doing it. In DCAD, the cursor can remain in place much of the time while the fingers enable commands. If nothing else, the DCAD screen gives a much less frantic look to the work process.
I will admit that using DCAD's keyboarding commands makes me have to pause once in awhile if I've been off the drafting table, so to speak, for a month or so. There are just so many commands that are accessible now, that it is a slight memory game when catching up. But, after a few minutes, I always get a wonderful feeling inside as things become efficient again. I do love my DataCAD.