Use this forum to ask questions about DataCAD 22 and DataCAD LT 22.
#81180 by VDS
Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:40 pm
I've created a handful of symbols (tables, labels, details, etc...). If I edit the symbol and save it, why doesn't that symbol update in the symbol browser in a new drawing? I'm only seeing the updated symbol browser in the drawing file I originally edited the symbol. If I open a new drawing and look for the symbol, it shows the original (not updated) version.

What am I doing wrong?
#81181 by Roger D
Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:04 pm
The edited symbol must be saved to the hard drive. Select the symbol, right click, save as. Making sure the path is correct, you should be asked if you want to ovy write the existing file.
#81182 by VDS
Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:38 pm
Thank you Roger.

To clarify for anyone else, I would add that prior to Roger's instruction "Select the symbol, right click, save as." you must first edit the symbol and save the updated version, then do as Roger states.
#81186 by joshhuggins
Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:22 pm
Cheap Trick! Another method to quickly update the same symbol on the hard drive (meaning you don't want to create a new different symbol on the hard drive) is to Right Click the symbol in the Symbol Browser and select 'Edit Fields'. This skips the Save As dialog and takes you directly to the Edit fields dialog and you can then just hit ENTER or click OK and it will write the updated symbol to the hard drive as well. :D
#81194 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:36 am
Right - we used to have to open the Symbol Browser and change it to view the drawing, and then right-click on a symbol in the SB to do the Save As. This was a Cheap Trick from Tony from years ago.

Now, we can do it right in the drawing, and it is very helpful.