Use this forum to ask questions about DataCAD 22 and DataCAD LT 22.
#82381 by The Canuck
Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:14 am
I tried to search but it seems that most references to hyperlinks are in regards to linking different drawings within a network. From the drop down menu, it does give an option to link to a web-page. Is this more for when it is printed as a PDF? If so, how? Or is it somehow within the drawing I can click on the text and it will open a web-browser? Haven't been able to figure it out.

I want to create a schedule that when sent to a client/contractor I can link a web-page to the item. For example, if I have a specific faucet that I want for a kitchen sink, and I want that person to be able to get to the specific faucet, they could click the text on the PDF document, that may or may not be highlighted/underlined like in other programs.

Or would it be better to create a schedule in a different format and bring it into the drawing that would contain the hyperlinks? I also don't want to bog the drawing file down if it is having to link or reference a bunch of different items. Any insight or recommendations are appreciated.
#82383 by joshhuggins
Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:22 pm
Using the Insert, Hyperlink menu option, click F8 Link to web, button and then click an entity in the drawing and you should be prompted to Enter URL top link to this entity. That is where you can input the website address, or any folder on your computer / network as well. Then users in Datacad can CTRL+Right Click on an entity that has been hyperlinked and select URL, and then click on the link. I thought there was a quicker way to launch the hyperlink like a Alt+Click something but I can't seem to find it right now. There is no hover highlight or tooltip that pops up when you mouse over a hyperlink, so you need to use the S5 View All option in the Hyperlink menu or do something in the drawing to denote it like make the text a different color or maybe box it or underline it with a non-printing color.

You can also use the CTRL+Right Click to create hyperlinks as well, which is how I access them. Unfortunately, I do not know of any way to get hyperlinks to output to PDFs.

I haven't used them too much so I can't speak to how things would work with a bunch of hyperlinks in a file but I wouldn't think it would add too much overhead.
#82386 by DBrennfoerder
Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:11 am
Actually, what might be the simplest solution is to use your URL and go to a QR converter such as: https://www.the-qrcode-generator.com/ This puts your URL into a square grid of black and white squares that any phone can use to jump to a web page. You'd just insert/bitmap that image into your drawing sheet and anyone with a handy phone could use it easily. I'm not sure how you'd do that with a keyboard and mouse though. Hmm
Attachments
QR.png