Post off topic threads here.
#79574 by MtnArch
Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:32 pm
Holy smokes .. I just realized that I've been using (and upgrading/supporting) DataCAD for 26 years now! I started out with buying in at the 'Fire Sale' in 1995 and have been learning/using/upgrading ever since!

What a privilege it has been to be a member/user of Dcad all of these years, and what a privilege it has been to have spoken with Mark M., Dave G. and Rick M. throughout the years - as well as interact with all of our truly incredible forum members here.

Although I haven't quite hit spending half of my life using Dcad yet, but I'm getting awful damn close! Hard to believe that I've spent more time (now) drawing/designing on CAD (any of them .. Acad, IntelliCad, Vectorworks, BricsCAD, etc.) than I have/did hand-drafting. Scary and sobering since I wanted to become an architect so I could draw (by hand) every day as a job.

Thank you, Dave (RIP, my friend), Mark, Clay and all of the current/past/future DC LLC members for providing a tool that met everything I needed to give life to my designs and my drawings!
#79585 by David Porter
Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:50 am
I had to chime in with my antique-ness on this one. I go back 35 years at using and abusing DataCAD every day over that time period. Got my first set of floppies of v. 2 in 1986 and my first Sperry-Rand computer that was powerful enough to run the program. I remember the first project I input was of a shopping center parking lot that had lots of tree symbols. I started a regen of the screen before going to lunch and when I came back an hour later, the regen had still not finished.

Oh, how far we have come through a couple of different ownerships, management teams, computer improvements, and program improvements to end up with the most stable of them all, the Dave, Mark, and Clay group. Every time I do something stupid with the program, I hear Dave's voice in my head telling me not to do that. He left us his lasting legacy.
#79655 by stephen t.
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:22 am
Hello everyone, I've been using DataCad since around 1985. I am presently using 21 while trying to settle into retirement. Very close-95% -to reaching that goal.
I still use DataCad for my own projects and for stuff for the kids' houses.
I love the program, and the people involved and appreciate all the help that the DataCad community has supplied through the years.
Take care.

Stephen Thomas
#79701 by melina
Tue May 04, 2021 1:59 pm
During my first job after grad school (1994), the firm decided it was time to start using computers and tried out a couple of CAD programs, including DataCAD. Alas, one that started with an "A" was chosen at the behest of the firm's public entity clientele. This led me to start writing LISPers to mimic some DataCAD features which I faithfully carried with me from job to job on a 3 1/2" floppy disk (except for the short stint where one of the firms used Apple).

A layoff in 1999 tossed me into private practice and I purchased my own copy of CAD, DataCAD 8. It's been a wild ride since! :D

Now that I am moving on from private practice, I'll be keeping it handy for all my doodling, experimenting, playing...