Post off topic threads here.
#7628 by Sinha
Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:05 pm
Hi Guys,
Just looking for a Software that is able to do 2D Architectural Renderings. This is what I mean...be able to:
1. Import a CAD or PNG etc in Its Space
2. Drag& Drop 2D Trees and People in TOP view and ELEVATION Views
3. Do Architectural Fills Colors Etc.

Anything like that out there? I have done quite a bit of search but only 3D Softwares come up
#7633 by joshhuggins
Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:14 pm
Datacad can do all this for you, but definitely has some limits and you have to use a few workarounds. Spirit has some really cool features for importing bitmap images with transparent colors and makes using bitmap images really appealing for creating image libraries for use in elevations and such. I hope this feature makes it to 12 along with gradient fills (hint hint) :wink: If you can give us a few examples of the style and type of elevations your looking to do, we can give you some walkthroughs and how to's for specific tasks.

Parametric bitmap images would be a cool tool. We could build a parametric image, using say three images. One image would show in plan view, then the other two would show in elevation or sections. If you wanted something for more than just elevations and sections, a 3D model would then probably be in order.

#7636 by MtnArch
Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:39 pm
Sinha -

You might also look at SketchUp - which can be used in plan and elevation views as well.
#8400 by Ted B
Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:45 pm
Definitely look at Sketch-up. There's a system called the "Dennis Method" that works great using SU and Photoshop or the less-expensive PS Elements. ( I use PS Elements 4.0, and it's a quick to learn. ) I've also used a variation of it using Datacad-generated linework as well via a .jpg/bitmap.

If interested, this is the forum thread where Dennis introduced his Method. It's swept that SU-world like wildfire. And it's flexible for either a "marker"-look or softer watercolor-wash effects.

http://www.sketchup.com/forum/read.php? ... 07&t=24207
and it contines at
http://www.sketchup.com/forum/read.php? ... 07&t=24207.[/url]

Sketch-Up is available as a 8-hr. free test-drive on their site. And PhotoShop Elements 4.0 is available for a free 30-day test drive at Adobe's website.

I use Sketch-up for all my exterior elevation design and presentation work for new houses and remodeling/renovation work. And on a few occasions for 3-d construction details. What's nice is that it works in true rendered perspective that you can adjust to suit your needs. People intuitively "get" perspectives much better than obliques or flat-elevations. I then import the flat hidden-line drawings into Datacad for the annotated construction drawings. I haven't drawn a set of elevation from scratch in Datacad in at-leat two-years now....
#8403 by Nick Pyner
Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:01 pm
DataCad can go a long way but if you need to go further, any paint programme should suffice. All it need to do is be able to receive DataCad's output. I haven't tried this, but I think it would be useful if it can import PDF. This would enable you to use DataCad's line-type, weight, colours.