Post off topic threads here.
#8397 by Ted B
Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:33 pm
In the homebuilding-trade, we Architects tend to keep things simple for our sakes and the poor guys in the field. It works fine for both new homes and for renovations and additions;

CS for Coversheets, general condition, specs and schedules.
D for demolition and existing features.
A for the actual architectural floor plans, sections and elevations.
AD (or D if you haven't used it) for the large-scale isolated details.
S for the structural drawings or the drawings by the Struct. Engr.
M for the mechanicals, AC, etc...
P or PL for the plumbing risers, etc.
E for the electrical layouts and panels.
L for the landscape drawings, and sometimes the irrigation.
The site engineering , improvemets, and grading and subsurface drawings are always a seperate roll by the civil engineer on his title-block anyway.
Often the CS, D, A and AD are just combined as "A", with just the actual cover being CS-1.

So far in twenty-years, I've never seen the need to get any more complicated for single-family houses, townhouse or even for low-rise apartment/condo buildings. Depending on the project, I just number the drawings sequentially from CS-1 to E-30; or internally-label each section sequentially. Then if you have to add a sheet or two later-on, you can just label them with a suffix "a" or ".1" My personal-peeve is that I HATE ".0"-sheets. If you're going to use a repeating internal-series (say for identifying Elev-A from Elev-B or Elev-C in a house-plan to be repeated), just start at ".1" or ".a" and be consistant.

I do believe that any drawings by a professional consultant that is on his-titleblock shoud have it's own Letter-code and be number starting at "1".
Those drawings should clearly be a "unit", as they are his professional responsibility....even though he's your consulatant. If the engineering is being shopped-out to consulatants, they can just label them S-1 through S-3.4 for example. or S-1 through S-4c. Just be sure that each engineer follows the same structure.

I generally don't assign sheet-numbers until I have a fairly-good idea of what the full set is going to consist-of. As with the AIA Layering system, their's is way too complicated for small firms with smaller, less complex projects. Clarity is more important than consistancy in the field.