Post off topic threads here.
#50100 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:57 pm
Hello all,

This design is getting pretty close. These are images of the latest version of the CarBŒN EV Concept Mk 3.0. It is now using the Smart ForTwo windshield and shows the hinged front wheel skirts; as well as a heavily revised nose that is more similar to the Mercedes blue clay Bionic/Boxfish model. The stagnant point is lower and the front fenders start to deflect the air around the front wheels. And the sides are "swoopier" and the beltline is lower, too. The roof is more curved/arched, and the side windows just behind the 'A' pillar are more convex than before.

I think it looks better and it should be more aerodynamic, too. I left all the tessellation lines visible, so the shape is easier to see. The front and back license plates are correctly sized (which should help understanding the scale). The overall length is ~13'-6" which is just a little longer than my Scion xA.

What do you think?

Here's the latest drawing (of the previous version) that shows the seating layout, and the battery pack under the floor, the surrounding safety structure, and my proposed rear hatch and doors entry.

#50116 by Neil Blanchard
Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:05 pm
I reworked much of the hood, front fenders and articulated wheel skirts, the sweep on the side and the front part of the roof -- and added back some headlights! It is much smoother, now...

#50140 by Neil Blanchard
Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:30 pm
So, I've been sitting with the spelling "CarBŒN" for a little while now, and I'm not sure I like it, or that it has achieved what I was hoping. Besides, it is hard to use an extended character and web addresses don't "like" it...

So, the suggestion has been made to go in another direction (by James Horecka). This is not exactly what he suggested, but is a riff of it, and I'll just float it and you tell me what you think:

CarBEN Franklin

Your feedback/reactions, pleas...e???

Any suggestions of good names?

Some renderings I did, hosted at Image Shack:

The blue sweep/zig is modeled in, naturally, and please notice that the trailing articulated wheel skirts now have a smooth arc...
#50273 by Neil Blanchard
Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:00 pm
Hi y'all,

These were rendered by Robert Scott, in Thea Render, and I think they look very good. I modeled the car in SketchUp, and I have been doing the 2D "working drawings" in DataCAD X3. The ability to XRef SketchUp (v7) files into X3 and then cut sections, from them is really helpful.

I think Thea is head and shoulders better than the IDX Renditioner that I have been trying out -- it puts the shadow on the ground, and it reflects the bitmap image in the surfaces of the model very effectively. If it wasn't for the watermarks, these might pass as photos to the casual viewer...

#50311 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:43 am
Subtle changes: front fenders are slightly elliptical, window corners are fillets, 'C' pillars "lean" rearward slightly more, rear exhaust vents are now in buttressed fins, the rear doors have thickness, all the marker lights are slightly proud (so they show better in the renderings).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ymuo6_JpaJs

#50320 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:10 am
I'm refining and adding some of the important elements; modeling in SketchUp and I've settled back to where I started: I think it will be a fiberglass shell, with tube steel as the chassis and safety structure. Here's my updated blog entry:

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/2010/09/carbn-concept-ev-open-source-project.html

Here's the latest video animation of the SketchUp model:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FN4VN67ZTw

My next step is to model the mesh seats. And I need to buy a (used) bandsaw to cut plywood ribs, and start fiberglassing!

If I use the EiG prismatic cells from FVT (like they use in their own eVaro), I can fit ~48kWh pack in the floor of the CarBEN. I'd like it to be 50-60kWh.

I am hoping to have the Cd between 0.1 and 0.14 which would put the CdA between 2.5 sq ft and 3.5 sq ft. (the frontal area is just under 25 sq ft). I based the design on the early Mercedes model of the Bionic, which has a Cd of 0.095 -- which is the lowest drag form with 4 wheels as I have seen.

I'm hoping that the total vehicle weight will be ~1,600-1,800 pounds -- the Edison2 Very Light Car is ~830 pounds, including the ~100 pound ICE drivetrain. The electric motor(s) will be similar (or 50 pounds heavier) to that, and the battery pack will be about 800 pounds.

My goal is to build the CarBEN EV and get it <100wH/mile, and so I hope the range can be >400 miles. The early Aptera prototypes were reported to be able to do this, and Dave Cloud's Dolphin comes very close, with a total weight of ~3,200 pounds. So, it is doable; though certainly challenging.

I'd be happy to send you, or anybody who is interested, the SketchUp model, and you can use the free version of SketchUp to view it and to work on it as well.
#50436 by Neil Blanchard
Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:42 pm
Greetings,

I've now modeled the 5 seats, and reworked the interior, now the headlights "light" up in the renderings! Hooray!

If the top of the sides at the rear need to be strengthened, I can add a sliding rod at the top corner of each door at the hinge side that adds a 3rd anchor point (the 2 hinges plus the rod) that forms a box corner? The two rear doors will also latch together and form an end gusset and if the hatch door has 5 or 7 anchor points (2 hinges plus 3 or 5 latches!) it will all lock together pretty well, I think. If this is the only issue I have, I'll be ecstatic!
#50437 by Paul Nida
Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:07 pm
Your renderings are looking really good, Neil, but I have a couple of questions.

How do you close the doors? It would seem that you would want the top hatch open until you get to the driver’s seat. And once in the seat it would seam that you would not have very good leverage to close it. Not to mention opening the doors from the drivers seat once you reach your destination. So is this going to be power doors?

Secondly, how do you get out if you are in a rear end collision and the doors are jammed?

No offense intended just curious, you seem to have most it well thought.
#50445 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:31 am
Thanks Paul,

There could be an emergency hatch in the roof above the driver (like a school bus, sort of), and/or the side windows.

The rear doors could be closed just after the last person enters, and then the hatch door gets closed/open by a remote release. The struts could slide on tracks on the sides, and let the hatch close, or push it open; not unlike a power sliding door on a van.

Here's two more images; a plan and longitudinal sections:

And I have a new video animation of the CarBEN EV Mk 3.8 model:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq0kMuLYxKM
#50464 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:09 am

The single entry is probably the most controversial feature of the CarBEN EV -- it has to do with weight savings and surrounding safety structure.

It's not like the the benefits aren't well worth the minor sacrifice: the CarBEN EV could well be the most efficient car yet made, and it could be one of the first electric cars to have a range of 400 miles (or more) on a single charge. If I was able to take part in the X-Prize, the CarBEN EV would have held the most people of any car in the contest. It might have a Cd under 0.14 and weigh less than a ton; hopefully less than a ton with the driver onboard.

I'm serious about these goals, and I have to make choices that save weight, while not diminishing safety, and yes, body gaps add aerodynamic drag. The Bionic increased the Cd from 0.095 (the early blue clay model that I am starting with) up to 0.19. The main reasons for much of this increase is the uncovered wheels and the cooling for the diesel engine.

Since about 97% of all accidents involve impacts on the front and sides of the car, I want to have maximum protection in those areas.

Since a square encloses the most area with the least perimeter, the best shape to make a car with a given frontal area, and get the most usable interior volume, the Mercedes Bionic/Boxfish model provides an amazing opportunity: it combines an amazingly low coefficient of drag (Cd) in a shape that is nearly a square in the frontal area. This makes it possible to have comfortable seating for 5 people in a car less than 14 feet long. A compact car can be much lighter and stronger, and still keep the frontal area down to ~25 sq ft (2.323 sq m). If the Cd of CarBEN EV is 0.14, then the effective frontal area (CdA) is 3.5 sq ft (0.325 sq m). And it is possible to get the Cd as low as 0.11 or so, and that would lower the CdA to 2.75 sq ft (0.255 sq m).

These would be unprecedented drag numbers for any car, let alone one that seats up to 5 people. Having an electric drive train also contributes a lot to this packaging efficiency: the electric motor is much smaller than an equivalent ICE and it's transmission (an electric motor only needs a reduction gear -- or can be direct drive!) and they need just a fraction of the cooling air flow.

And here's one of the reasons where the aero and the aero shape enter in: since truncating the back of the shape (called a Kamm back) makes the vehicle makes it much more practical, and has a very small increase in drag (and the Boxfish model achieves it's staggering Cd of 0.095 with a Kamm back), and this is where a small fraction of the accidents occur anyway, this is where I chose to put the main entry door.

Side doors add weight and reduce the safety; by cutting big holes in the structure (think about a large box beam web) which then has to be reinforced all around the perimeter, and the door itself has to have a similar frame all around the perimeter, and you add the hinges and if you want to have as much strength as possible, you need 2-4 latches (instead of the usual 1). Adding the latches, means that you gain back some/much of the strength you had with no side doors, but it will weight more.

Since I would need a rear hatch door *anyway* if I put in a side door; I can save a lot of weight and get the safety even better than most cars.

Another aspect of the aero that affects many aspects, including the seating arrangement: the tapered shape required for ultra low drag means that conventional rows of seats is not the best way to fit everything in. Since the electric motor is so compact, the driver can be moved forward between the front wheels, opening up more room. And the staggered seating means that even more legroom is available by angling your legs off to the side. So, the CarBEN fits 5 comfortably, in a package that most cars fit 4 less comfortably. The mesh seats are also a big part of this.

I think I've shown that the choices I've made so far, are aimed at achieving unprecedented ultra-efficiency, in a compact, very practical people moving machine. Since the most import part of that function is just that: moving people with safety, the small inconveniences of slightly more effort getting in and out of the car are more than offset, if I can get anywhere near the performance I think are possible. Form follows function, and I think the CarBEN EV can function at a very high level, indeed.

As Oliver Kuttner says: you must get the physics right to get to higher efficiency; and all design choices affect the efficiency. Using less energy is my focus, and that is where I cannot compromise.

After I get a prototype and running, I hope to experiment with rigid wheels and solid (non-inflatable) tires and regenerative shock absorbers. The solid tires and rigid wheels could be much lighter weight (which counts double to weight losses anywhere else), and they could have vanishingly low rolling resistance, and they would pass along most of the energy to the regenerative shocks; making their effect greater than it would be with conventional tires.

The ride quality could actually be better than with conventional tires, since light wheels makes the system more compliant (they move rather than moving the car), and the suspension can be fully tuned and damped to match the wheels.

This could help get the energy consumption even lower than 100Wh/mile, and that could extend the range; as well as recharging the batteries (a bit) from the energy regained from the shock absorbers (instead of wasting it as heat). Every little bit counts.
#50476 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:42 pm
Okay, I now have all five 3D figures in the model, and the two passenger seats right behind the driver are splayed slightly to fit their legs in, while still having decent headroom. You can see this best in the plan section:

Longitudinal section views:

#50477 by MtnArch
Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:27 pm
Neil -

I've followed your development but have refrained from commenting - at least until now.

I think you will have come to a point where you will have to decide (as the mainstream car makers have) to follow ultimate design or mass appeal.

As an aside, maybe the answer (at least with your prototype) to the side door issue is to make it more of a safety issue as opposed to a "grandkid" issue, and make it similar to a school bus (or, for the lack of a better analogy, a NASCAR Sprint Cup car) that utilizes a breakout window as the exit in an emergency. It doesn't violate the integrity of the structural frame, but it gives a way to get into the passenger compartment (or out of the passenger compartment) in an emergency.

Just a thought or two ...