Post off topic threads here.
#3436 by mkriegh
Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:41 am
It appears that those of us who have lusted after a Mac all these years may finally get the opportunity. I just finished reading an article on the pros of the move by Apple, and among them will be support for a dual operating system. We may yet get to run our favorite program on elegant Mac machines.

FWIW

Michael Kriegh
#3517 by jmorgan6
Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:41 pm
How will this enable us to use DataCad on the Mac?
Only difference that I see is an alternative processor on Mac hardware.
You cant run the OSX on hardware other than Mac.

??

John
#3518 by mkriegh
Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:27 am
Moving over to the Intell chips apparently will allow windows operating system to run on the Mac machines. And not as windows emulation, but as windows pure and without intermediary. I'm not sure of the logistics of moving back and forth between one operating system and another on the same machine, but I seem to recall that this has been done on PC's in the past. The article I am referring to, by David Pogue, was in the NYT last week.

Here is a quote from the article:

Columnist: "Now there will be cheap Mac clones! Hooray!"

No, never. Apple will never permit it. Sure, someone may try to hack Mac OS X so it will run on a generic PC, but Apple will have put up every technological and legal barrier under the sun.

What IS likely is that you'll be able to do the opposite: run Windows on a Mac! Apple has said publicly that it won't try to stop anyone from attempting such a feat.

Darned right it won't! Running both operating systems on a single machine will be a distinct advantage for Mac buyers--a key attraction of new-age Macs that no other company will be able to offer. You'll have the software libraries of both platforms available to you: the slick convenience of Apple's photo, video and music software, plus the vast catalogs of special-purpose programs for Windows.

Enough to make you salivate if you've been hungering for a Mac but could not make the transition.
#3519 by jmorgan6
Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:04 am
I have been tempted from time to time to buy a Mac but never have due to DataCad and one other application that I use.

This might make a difference to others as well.

Dual boot should be no problem, I have been doing that between Msft and Linux for some time.

I would use Linux exclusively except , again, DataCad and an engineering application that I use daily.

I do not think that the hardware will be cheap though, as it will be proprietary Mac.

John
#3520 by mkriegh
Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:09 am
Mac hardware prices have been comming down, though still higher than PC's. May be a small price to pay for design elegance and harmony in my home (my wife is a Mac snob).
#3566 by Nick Pyner
Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:42 pm
mkriegh wrote: harmony in my home (my wife is a Mac snob).

Hah! Now we know the REAL reason for getting a Mac...... :P
#3567 by Neil Blanchard
Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:07 pm
Hello:

The odd thing is that the cool running Pentium M's are not 64bit, and the Mac OSX is 64bit...one wonders why Apple did not decide on AMD CPU's, which are both 64bit and they run cool. But, who says that the new x86 version of the Mac OS won't run on AMD as well, since it is x86 -- though knowing Intel, they'll figure out some way to prevent this from working. :roll: