Post off topic threads here.
#51065 by MtnArch
Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:03 pm
All -

I started with an HP 330 plotter (24" carriage) that I bought from a friend back in '97 and upgraded it to a new HP 450C (24" carriage) back in 2K. The 450C has been an awesome plotter and still works - even though HP doesn't support it any more. I do have it working in Win7, but it does not do bitmaps (which is what my logo is) well, or sometimes at all.

While I still feel that 24x36 (Arch D) is the best format (and I've had multiple contractors and framers confirm that), I have an important client who has standardized on 30x42 (Arch E1). Right now I e-mail a PDF of the sheets I need plotted to my local repro shop - but they are 30 minutes away (the downside to living in the Sierra foothills). If I'm pushing against a deadline on a Friday it is a real struggle.

I'm thinking I need to invest in a new plotter but I've only used HP. The Canon plotters seem to be very competitive cost-wise but I haven't heard good or bad about them.

I'd prefer to buy something new and relatively new (ie. 'state-of-the-art'), but am not opposed to used or refurbished as long as there are Win7 drivers for it. From what I've seen online I think my budget would be under $3,500.

Anyone have any good or bad recommendations?
#51074 by MtnArch
Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:49 am
Hi, Neil -

I did. It didn't.
#51085 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:53 pm
That stinks.

I think one or two folks have the Canons -- you might also try asking on the DBUG forum, too. They are very fast, and quite a bit less money than similar sized HP model.
#51089 by MtnArch
Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:36 pm
That's what I'd heard.

I didn't think about posting on the "other" forum - great suggestion!
#51555 by MtnArch
Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:23 am
David Sargert and Michael Olney PM'd me with their experience with an HP 550 and a Canon iPF710 (both positive), and I went searching for each.

I found a smokin' deal on eBay for a Canon iPF755 (it's obscene what I got it for - a new machine that was used for a month, only 60 plots, for under $2,300 including shipping, plus three 36" 150' bond rolls).

Kind of a cross between what I've used in the past (my 'lil 'ol 450C and an HP 1055CM) in terms of ink tanks (the Canon uses **6** 130ml tanks!) and on-board HD (the Canon has an 80GB drive). I'd say it's at least as fast as the HP 1055, no quieter, and deeper space-wise.

Setup was incredibly simple on my Win7 box (via USB). It has a built-in billing function (haven't set it up yet, so can't comment on how it works or how it exports to billing software). Ink tanks are $65~$80 each (depending on where you get them).

Works flawlessly with Dcad - so I'm very happy with the upgrade! We'll see how it plays with my other software. :wink:

Thanks for all of the help and recommendations!