Post off topic threads here.
#52396 by akjohno
Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:37 pm
Hi all, I have just downloaded the free version of sketchup to try and learn it, but I can't seem to get anything to draw on the screen of it. I have tried line, rectangle, circle, different templates etc but none of them show up as anything on the screen, I am just left with a blank white screen. I have tried going to print preview and there is an image of a woman on there with some scribble where i must have been scribbling with the line. Any ideas? Does it need to be registered? I have tried a repair too, and still no joy. I am running Vista. I have exported a Datacad .skp file and imported into sketchup as well and still nothing. Got me scratching my head!!!
Regards,
Andrew.
#52397 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:40 pm
Hi Andrew,

The free version is nearly as powerful as the paid version. There are a lot of excellent tutorials included in the download (or online) -- you are probably doing something out of habit for DataCAD that is different in SketchUp? Object snapping is not done with the center button, for example.
#52398 by MtnArch
Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:54 pm
I think Neil's post pretty much sums things up. There are TONS of YouTube videos that both Google and users have created - they would be the best place to start.

I've used it since V3 on XP, Vista and Win7 without any problems.
#52400 by Robert Scott
Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:53 pm
http://www.aidanchopra.com/

Buy the book...watch the videos. In hours you'll be having fun!

Robert
#52402 by akjohno
Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:39 am
I uninstalled Sketchup and reinstalled it. It worked fine the first time I ran it (as administrator) using the default template. I then closed it down and ran it again normally, it didn't work and hasn't worked again since....Any ideas..