Post off topic threads here.
#54714 by MtnArch
Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:49 pm
Does anyone have any recommendations on VPN software? I'm a sole proprietor that needs to be able to access my HD at the office when I'm off-site - either at home or on the road.

I'm trying out the RD (Remote Desktop) from both Windoze (yuck!) and LogMeIn, as well as the LogMeIn/Hamachi - but I'm not sold on either one right now.

My router at the office (Linksys E4200) allows me to connect a USB NAS drive but Linksys and Comcast keep pointing fingers at each other as to why I cannot connect when I'm off-site.

Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi (DataCAD Wizards) ... you're my only hope!
#54726 by joshhuggins
Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:53 am
I've been using Windows Live Mesh when I don't use Remote Desktop. Works pretty seamless, and you can login via a webpage. Even works on a mac I'm told. Worth a look. Really straight forward simple design and also has some great file sync tools as well as 5GB online storage. Also allows desktop sharing for collaboration with a single other individual.
#56851 by Roger D
Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:52 pm
If you need to connect back home, or even to the basement comuter, this might be useful

TeamViewer is an excellent screen-sharing and file-transfer app that can be used to facilitate business collaborations, remotely access a second computer, or help distraught relatives diagnose and cure computer problems. Along with being free for noncorporate use, it gives users precisely the tools they need to share screens securely, send files with a minimum of hassle, control access rights, and even flip which user has control.
click on the following link:

http://download.cnet.com/TeamViewer/300 ... ag=mncol;1

even can run a validated program on the remote computer.
#56856 by MtnArch
Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:44 pm
Thanks, Roger.

I wound up just going with LogMeIn Pro. It's not the fastest and definitely has it's quirks, but it's working okay for now. If I need to work on files that are on the office box, I will fire up FileZilla and upload them to my FTP site, then download them on my laptop. It's a pain to have to remember to re-load the most updated files but I normally don't work on too many files all at once.
#56869 by David Porter
Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:46 pm
I use the free version of LogMeIn to access both of my office computers from my home laptop or my tablet or my cell phone. If I need to get a drawing or a symbol file or any other file from any of my office computers, I use LogMeIn to access the office computers and then copy the files into my Dropbox account using LogMeIn. Before I even have time to log out of LogMeIn, I get a notification on my home laptop that files have been added to my Dropbox account. I then pull the files from Dropbox and get back to work.

For the very low cost of FREEEEEEEEE this method works very nicely for me.
#60189 by mhyjek52
Wed May 08, 2013 9:06 am
You should look at a Sonic Wall appliance or Barracuda. They are about the best for the cost.

Next look at Evernote. This way all you documents will be available without the vpn and it is cheap/free depending on how much monthly uploading you do.
MH