Post off topic threads here.
#55878 by pjmerkl
Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:12 pm
I have just started a new architectural practice and have my first larger commercial project. I am wanting to set up my layers per the AIA and national cad standard guide lines. Does anyone have or does anyone know of where I may find a default drawing that has these already set up in a single datacad or autocad file. I could import the acad file in to dcad. Any thoughts? Are other architects using these guidelines? My projects are in the range of 5000sf to 20,000sf. Thanks

PJ
#55886 by MtnArch
Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:11 pm
PJ -

I wouldn't use it unless I was forced to contractually. It's overly cumbersome and WAY too complicated for most projects.

If you're REALLY set on using it I would recommend spending the money on the entire standard (go here to find the prices).

Note also that it's all in DWG and XLS format - you'll have to translate it into Dcad AND make sure that you set up your palettes and tables correctly for when you export to DWG from Dcad.
#55920 by David Porter
Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:04 am
I completely agree with Alan. Avoid using the AIA layer guidelines like the Plague. I never found a project in my world that the layers were suitable for. I found from experience that my standard layers developed over time from my working on a number of project types. When I would complete a project and had added and named the needed layers, I would then save out that file, erase the content and store the file in Default folder to then use it as my starting point for the next job that was similar.

After 25 yrs of this I now have a dozen different default files I use to start new projects from.
#55944 by Ted B
Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:47 pm
I wouldn't bother with the AIA Guidelines for a "small" project of 5000 to 20,00sf. It's just too-cumbersome, and sounds like you've never used the AIA layers before. They might be feasible if you're doing a massive hospital or university/pharma research facility with dozens of consultants and sub-consultants all using Autocad; but with Datacad's disconnect between layers and linetypes/widths is just not worth the complexity. the AIA layer system was created for Autocad's limitation of each color/line width, type and spacing had to be on a separate layer.
And with BIM becoming industry-standard for large-scale projects, I don't think the AIA layers even apply anymore.

For bldgs. of moderate complexity, I would stick to simple Datacad layers maximizing Datacad's color/line width, type and spacing flexibility and organize your layers like the old mylar in-bar overlay with a base and each discipline on a separate layer. Your consultants will catch-on soon enough with a simple written cheat-sheet.