Post off topic threads here.
#4201 by Miguel Palaoro
Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:21 pm
Hello Fellows,

In the middle sixties when I was at the first grade on school I heard about an agreement, hosted by the ISO, took by all countries on the world, for adopting the International System of Measurements, commonly identified as 'mks' system [m (meter), kg (quilogram) and s (second)].

At that time I had (as I can remind) the first notice about the gigantic size of american industry, because my teacher sayd that the United States of America was the only country to receive a term of 50 years to fit the requirements, which would mean to reach the state of adopting integrally those standards. That was a really impressive information. So, I could figure out what a big industry would actually represent.
We had in Brazil no apparent problem because the industry was much smaller, and metric system was adopted since at least ten years before.

In the seventies, when I was at my engineering graduation, I had the habit to subscribe free international magazines. One that I can remember was International Construction Magazine, a great source of information whose subject was mainly on the big contracts, but it dealed with general civil construction building also.
IC was edited in England, land of the 'Imperial' system. There, on seventies, I knew that Britain had taken the steps into the metric system, because the unit used by the magazine was at that time: 'meter', 'quilometer', etc.

From there, many things had happened, and also almost all those supposed 50 years. But I never heard anymore about that agreement. Now I am just curious about this.

Anyone has news about the swap into a metric system for the USA, or this is not in the table for the next 50 ?

Thanks guys. BTW, I am prepared for more fifty.
Miguel
#4203 by Tony Blasio
Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:45 pm
I don't know of anything "official" except that all Federal jobs are required in metric. I only know this from what I have read, not by personal experience.

In the home building field (which is where I am at) I do not see any sign of metrics creeping in. Everything I deal with day to day is still in feet and inches. I haven't even heard any of our contractors refer to anything in metrics either.

That said I will confess that our code books do include a metric equivalent when measurements are stated. An example would be stair riser heights. The 2004 Ohio Residential Code calls for a max riser height of 8 1/4" (210 mm). So maybe it is creeping in alittle (and it is alittle creepy too) :!: :D
#4205 by Jon C. Hubart
Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:15 pm
On some recent work we did for the state of Indiana we had to deal with this a little. We worked on 2 projects that were initiated twenty years appart (government moves at blazing speeds) The first older project required the use of english and metric measurements. The second did not. At some point between the projects the state government dropped metric requirements and will no longer require the dual system.

It appears that the government is losing the battle against big business in trying to force a switch.
#8399 by Ted B
Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:24 pm
I doubt the building trades in the United Staes will ever go metric. The Standard (or Imperial) system is too-entrenched and too-engrained to ever change. Too-much of the built-environment in the US is based on the Standard-system and on the round-measurements that have resulted; 2x4's, 4x8's, 8-ft ceilings, etc...

As long as CAD systems can create "dual-dimensioned" drawings, the Federal and State governments will pay lip-service-only to ANY international requirement for compliance.
#8404 by Nick Pyner
Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:18 pm
I recall that President Carter decreed that the US would go metric at some near-future date. I believe he was studiously ignored.
#8415 by WizArtist
Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:50 am
I don't see there ever being a metric only adoption in the U.S. Yes, there were plans to do it, and in schools in the late 70's / early 80's they began pushing the teaching of it. However, that died out.

About the only use I recall seeing much anymore is the Celsius scale. Over 200 years of established thinking just can't be legislated away.

Besides, can you see someone on a job site going "Hey pass me that 5.08 x 10.16"?
#8438 by Arthur Emmanuel
Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:47 pm
One of the advantages to use the meter is that decimal is represented in system, that sends with more easiness the idea of percentile division.
#8442 by joshhuggins
Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:03 pm
I would like to see things move to metric here in the US, but I doubt it will happen. Just to much to change to make it worth while. I could cut my car tools in half! But then the poor Snap-On man would not like that.
#8448 by Paul Nida
Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:46 pm
People have been talking about switching to metric since I was in grade school, 40 years ago. And except for the occasional liter bottle of Coke or Pepsi, etc. we are no closer than we were then. And, frankly, I don't care if we ever make the switch. I am perfectly happpy with feet and inches.
#8452 by Miguel Palaoro
Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:39 am
So, Paul. You say it matters not so much.

Be my guess to read this article:
http://www.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/30/mars.metric/

Thanks,
Miguel
#8458 by Martell
Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:45 am
If America use pounds, feet, miles and Fahrenheit (the English system), why don´t they drive with the car on the wrong side? :roll: :wink:

Martell
#8459 by Paul Nida
Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:20 am
Miguel Palaoro wrote:So, Paul. You say it matters not so much.

Be my guess to read this article:
http://www.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/30/mars.metric/

Thanks,
Miguel

Thanks Miguel, but I am not planning on a trip to Mars anytime soon. Nasa and other government agencies have had enough screw ups over the years blaming one on the metric system seems silly.
#8465 by Dick Eades
Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:25 am
I would love to see the USA switch to metric, but there is just so much resistance.

When I worked in Brussels from '69 - '72 I became quite familiar with the metric system. While trying to learn the standards, I once asked a Belgian draftsman working for us what the European plywood size was since the building modules were all based on that. His response, 1.22m x 2.44m which turns out to be 4'x8'. It turned out that all the plywood making machinery was made in the USA. I understand that has since changed in Europe.

But consider the transition. Let's say we change the plywood to metric. That changes the stud lengths. Then changing the stud gauges changes the wall thicknesses. Doors and frames change also, etc. So now the lumber yards have to stock both systems and manufacturers have to contunue to produce legacy material along with the metric. One system for legacy work on existing non-metric construction and the other for new metric work. What happens to remodeling a historic structure when you can no longer get the old plywood.

It doesn't fit, and it's a much bigger problem than the auto industry changeover. If someone has a plan for this, I want to see it. I'm eager to do it, I just don't see how the USA could swing it.
#8469 by Heinrich
Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:03 pm
One also has to consider all of the contractors and builders in this country that have spent their entire lives building in one system. I could only imagine the problems and poor construction that would occur for the following years after the switch.

-Redd
#8470 by Arthur Emmanuel
Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:20 pm
In Brazil, in civil construction, iron is only described is of the system in metric.Until happened me in a workmanship to have that to convert centimeters into imperial dimensions, so that the construction workers could understand. Measurements as walls, doors, windows, timbering of roof, are made in meters, without iron.