Post off topic threads here.
#56310 by MtnArch
Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:09 am
I currently have a FujiFilm FinePix S2800HD digital camera (14mp, 18x optical zoom) that is performing well - no problems, except ... I really miss the control that I used to have over my 1980's Minolta SLR with interchangeable lenses.

I don't have an unlimited budget, but feel that there may be a better Digital or Digital SLR camera out there that would be a smart upgrade for me to make. I would require it to record at least 14mp and have an optical zoom greater than 20x to make it worth considering.

Does anyone have suggestions for me - even if it's "keep what ya got"?
#56314 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:33 am
I am very happy with my Nikon D40X (which has been superceded, now). The megapixel spec is not as important as the actual physical size of the sensor -- low available light photography is *much* better with a camera that has a sensor that is closer to a 35mm negative size. The speed of a good dSLR is another plus.

They have 3 models under $700 MSRP: http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Digital-SLR-Cameras/index.page#!/tag:nkE:Up%20To%20$700

The "street" prices are lower, actually.