Post off topic threads here.
#56885 by Vasthi Cheddar
Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:25 pm
Wondering if anyone has any opinions on the use of TREX decking. I have a client who would like to use it, but I personally don't have any experience with it.
Basically, how does it compare to other composite boards and/or wood.
They want something that it's virtually maintenance free. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Vasthi
#56886 by MtnArch
Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:18 pm
We used another brand on our deck (ChoiceDek) because it was much less expensive than Trex.

Some pointers that I found when we did ours:
- Make sure that you use an installer who has experience with the material.
- Use lumber that is as dry as you can get so that it won't twist or warp from drying out after it's been installed
- Although it is nearly maintenance free - it's not totally maintenance free! After going through 4 California hot summers and cold winters, it needed to be pressure washed badly.
- If you use the 1x12 trim board that they have, be careful what you attach it to (like a beam) so that you don't get buckling and broken attachment screws due to the twisting/warping as the beam dries out.
- Don't exceed 16" spacing on your joists - the boards WILL sag.
- Although it's a composite material it will still stain if you drop something on it. It will also scratch and dent.

Hope this gives you a little insight. I would definitely use it again!
#56900 by Vasthi Cheddar
Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:23 am
Thank you so much! That's very helpful to know.
Best

Vasthi