Post off topic threads here.
#57413 by joshhuggins
Wed May 23, 2012 11:58 am
Can anyone refer me a code section or law (California) where an Architect is specifically required to sign or approve something where a 'registered design professional' cannot. We are loosing our primary Architect in our office and our engineers are planning on signing for everything so they don't have to insure another Architect. Thanks for your think tanks!
#57416 by MtnArch
Wed May 23, 2012 12:46 pm
Josh - check out the Business and Professions Code (http://cab.ca.gov/pdf/publications/architects_practice_act_2012_march.pdf), though this is strictly in the architectural end. Must be one for the engineers - check that out, too.

I don't think there are any types that an engineer can't sign, but maybe have them call the state board to verify too.

Of course, if I know an engineer is doing a project that I could have done (or they could have brought me in on, in addition to them) - I probably wouldn't ever bring that engineer ANY project!
#57417 by jimgoodman
Wed May 23, 2012 1:05 pm
Josh: The California Architects Board has just published the 2012 Architects Practice Act on their website which will be a good place to start - http://www.cab.ca.gov/pdf/publications/ ... _march.pdf. Check Section 5536.1 (c) which spells out what buildings can be done by someone other than an architect.

Also bear in mind that a firm cannot use the term Architect or any of it's derivatives in the name unless there is a licensed architect who has "responsible control" on staff.
#57432 by David Porter
Fri May 25, 2012 12:25 pm
Josh,

If you are doing single family residential, I think section 5537 of the Practice Act exempts having to use an architect and/or an engineer for preparing drawings. As to having an engineer sign and seal the drawings, most licensing laws say that architects are the one's to prepare drawings for buildings containing human occupancy and engineer's are allowed to sign and seal drawings for buildings that have, as the majority of their use, non-human occupancy (water treatment plants, phone switching buildings, etc.). There are a lot of architects and engineers out there and in every state who are willing to play risky with their license and "plan stamp" prints for a nominal fee and there are building inspectors who will also accept those incorrectly sealed plans.