Post off topic threads here.
#4358 by Dick Eades
Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:08 pm
I occasionally get pdf prints of cad files from other sources. When I try to print them on my HPLJ 5000, it prints only a small portion of the file at the left edge. It has been suggested that I need to add more memory to the printer - it currently has 24mb. However, the pdf size is about the same if not smaller than my Datacad generated pdf's, which print fine and I can watch it spool up and the file size is usually around 1.8mb going to the printer. Does anyone have any idea what is causing the printer to cut off some pdf's and not the others?
#4365 by Daniel Kaczor
Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:49 pm
In the Acrobat print dialogue box, change some settings to see what works.

1. Page Scaling - Try None or Fit to Paper(scale may be wrong).
2. Check or uncheck "Choose Paper source by PDF page size".

One or a combination should get it to print correctly. Don't forget to check the scale on the printed document.

HTH
#4368 by Miguel Palaoro
Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:16 pm
Hello Guys,

I can remember in those 'ancient' days, when we had side by side a dot matrix and a laser printer, the behavior of the 'matrix' was predictable, while the HP Laserjet not always were.
Even with drawing files much smaller then the installed memory available it couldn't work. I handled several cases where the printer sheet would be cancelled in the middle of the page in the laser, while when using the 'matrix' it would print it all.

My explanation is that some TrueType fonts (and curves) would require a lot of virtual memory to be dealed, and some softwares do manage this informations with some included (and smarter) routines to identify those curves, while others do not.

Perhaps this can explain why there are different behaviors among printers.

Thanks,
Miguel
#4377 by Philip Hart
Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:05 am
I have experienced similar problems trying to print from Adobe Acrobat Reader to HP DesignJet plotters. I have found that the latest version of Acrobat (7.0) is significantly better. If you ar running a version prior to 7.0 I would strongly encourage you to upgrade.
#4390 by Dick Eades
Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:57 am
I'm running Reader 7.02 and I've run an additional test. A pdf created by DataCAD that was 1,163kb was plotted to file in Reader and produced a file of 1,562kb. A pdf created by othercad that was only 249kb produced a file of 1,189kb but took a long time for the progress meter to leave zero (this is the file I'm having problems with). So I wonder if it might be a timing thing. Spooling was set to start printing immediately. I changed it to print directly and after a two minute delay with the progress meter at zero (same as when printing to file from Reader) it squirted quickly to 100% and the printer produced 2 inches of print with the rest of the page blank. Same as before.

The printer is set to reduce to paper size and choose paper source has been used both ways with no difference in the output. Both pdf's are for the same paper size, 24x36. The problem file prints to 8 1/2x11 just fine and with a shorter delay on the progress meter.