Post off topic threads here.
#59381 by MtnArch
Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:06 pm
Working on cadd'g in an existing CMU building that I have the original plans (from 1977) for. The man-doors are listed as "H.M. w/ P.M. Frame" - I know what HM means (hollow metal) but I've never seen the "PM" designation for the frame. The drawings don't have any door or window details but the drafter showed the frames on the 1/4" plans as wrapping around the openings (not set inside the opening) and I'm guessing it has to do with being a knock-down type metal frame as opposed to a welded frame. I'll verify it when I hit the site next week for my site recon but thought I'd get a jump on things ...
#59382 by MtnArch
Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:16 pm
Okay - finally found an obscure reference to it in the drawings. It's a "Pressed Metal Steel Wraparound" frame, different (at least on the drawings) from the "Hollow Metal" frame.
#59383 by DRTAIA
Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:48 pm
Hi Alan,

If its an exterior door my guess would be that its a welded frame and installed when the masonry was built. I've done it that way in the past - I get concerned that with knock down type frames in exterior walls you could get moisture in through the joints.

Duane Thomson