Post off topic threads here.

How would you characterize your current use of DataCAD? (You may choose more than one answer)

14%
9%
10%
12%
8%
10%
10%
10%
8%
8%
#59451 by Clay Rogers
Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:29 pm
Please pick the answer(s) which best describe your current use of DataCAD. You may select more than one answer. If you would like information about upgrading your DataCAD, or if you have other comments, or you'd like your e-mail address removed from our list, please send us an e-mail at: info@datacad.com You can also call us to place an order at: 800-394-2231
#59456 by ThomE
Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:19 pm
Basically, D12 is fine for me.
I use it daily. Still do ALMOST ONLY construction documents, hardly any 3d. When I do I use Sketchup.
Sure would like to see MORE improvements on making CD's easier to produce.

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME WE GOT ANY NEW SYMBOLS, APPLIANCES, FURNITURE, CABINETS???????????????

Things to make production drawings faster and easier to put together.
How about ways to make inputting catalogs pics, brocure details, spec data, etc into drawings less of a chore?

seems I have to get out the maunual, that hardly answers the question of "how to____" anymore, anytime I want to do something a little different.
Course, wouldn't mind sun tracker, integrated with O2c, as an add on. But to get the whole new version for that, nah

Seems like it has been forgotten that working drawings make up the lions share of the work. Would like to see a revamp of DCAD like the old days, for "computer" software to make life easier to produce things like cross sections, interior elevations, creating details, door/ window schedules,etc.- better tutorials for the things that are ALREADY in DCAD12.

Course, I am getting ready to retire in a few years, but will still keep working if hired, so some of these things do not matter that much to me, but still would like things to be more intuative. I still do not use D12 to what I consider it's full potential, I am sure of it. How can you help me do that???
thanks.
#59457 by joshhuggins
Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:06 pm
ThomE wrote:Sure would like to see MORE improvements on making CD's easier to produce.
There has been TONS of improvements since v12 for CD's. 95% of what we do here is CD's also. I would hate myself if I had to go back to version 12. Depending on how much of Datacad 12's current features you are using, would determine how much the improvements that have been made over time would be of value to you to create CD's. For example, do you use xrefs, self-xrefs, MSP, or M/Ptext? Are there features you think that you may want to use that you currently don't use?

ThomE wrote:WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME WE GOT ANY NEW SYMBOLS, APPLIANCES, FURNITURE, CABINETS???????????????
Do you really want or need symbols provided by others vs. symbols you create yourself that is created to work with your colors/pens/standards? It's pretty easy to create these yourself. For those who are using 3D, they have been providing several hundred smart 2D/3D symbols since version 12, which can be exploded down to 2D only for use if you want to use them as a start point.

ThomE wrote:How about ways to make inputting catalogs pics, brocure details, spec data, etc into drawings less of a chore?
Version 15 has simple drag and drop of images (BMP/JPG/JPEG/GIF/TIF/TGA/PNG/PCX/PCD), Excel, DWG, DXF, Text files, AEC, DC5 files directly into the drawing window. Direct PDF insert/referance is probably the only main thing I would say most would really love to see.

ThomE wrote:better tutorials for the things that are ALREADY in DCAD12.
Most of us agree on this, and they have been updating the manual a lot more since v12 these days, but with limited staff and resources (from people not upgrading ;) ), keeping how-to videos up to date would be a lot of work. Many rely a lot on this forum for seeking help and it seems to work well.

ThomE wrote:Course, I am getting ready to retire in a few years, .... I still do not use D12 to what I consider it's full potential, I am sure of it. How can you help me do that???
I think the best course of action now is to take advantage of this forum. Spend some time trying to accomplish and learn the above items on your own and see where you end up, and then ask detailed questions here on the forum. I think you'll find the help your looking for. Spending time with the program & the forum trying to learn, outside of the time your trying to get projects done is critical. If your getting ready to retire, then all of the above maybe moot, as trying to keep of with advancements maybe not worth the time, but if you think you would like to spend the off time getting back up to speed then I think that would be a great goal. Gotta keep those neurons firing right? :wink:
#59463 by flmcl
Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:35 am
DCAD has long been up to the business tasks I have for it. If DataCAD was truly fluid back and forth between SketchUp, I would be interested in an upgrade. That is, if I could draw full architectural construction and presentation drawings - 2D and 3D - in DCAD with the ease that exists drawing in SU, I would upgrade DCAD. But, honestly, if I could fully draw both of these same drawing types in SU, with the ease that presently exists there, I would go to SketchUp only - sorry :>(

I only went from earlier DCAD versions to DCAD12 to stay in the race with communicating graphically with consultants who use AutoCAD. Further, I deeply resent AC's annual renewal fee vs. steep purchase price choice. Finally, for my purposes, DCAD is the best most direct tool for creating architectural drawings; all my colleagues who are, like me, sole practitioners, use DataCAD, one of whom is on your Beta list.

For what it's worth, I started using DataCAD and a computer for the first time when - years ago - DCAD precipitously dropped it's price to $150 a copy - I had never even even owned a computer! My desire to own and use DCAD came before my desire to own and use my own computer! :>)
#59464 by Paul Nida
Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:13 pm
I find it interesting when people say they haven't upgraded for several versions. And then say that they would like to see certain improvements in the program. For one thing, if you are 3 or 4 versions behind, how would you know what improvements have been included since the version you are working on? Who knows, maybe very improvements you want are already there. But maybe not. The other thing is, how do you expect them to continue to improve the program if you are not willing to support that improvement by upgrading. Which is where they get the money it takes to continue to upgrade the program. I can understand somebody not upgrading if you think the program is perfect the way it is and you don't want to see any changes. Then not upgrading makes perfect sense. I can also understand not upgrading when the economy is bad and cash flow won't allow the upgrade. But to say that an old version is fine for you and then say you would like to see improvements doesn't make any sense at all.
#59465 by spencer5x5
Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:51 pm
Up until any new upgrades past 12, I have always upgraded. But I spent 3 1/2 years working out of state due to the economy crash here in Florida from 2008 until June of 2013 when the company I was working for ran out of work. Now I am back in Florida trying to scare up enough work to pay bills. When the work and cash flow allow it, I will upgrade again. Right now, I am just too cash strapped to acquire the upgrade.
#59467 by Steve Baldwin
Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:23 pm
- I like DataCAD best for CAD software!

- I use DataCAD occasionally at home, for sideline projects / etc.

- I use DataCAD mostly for 2D construction documents.

- I have begun to like SketchUp for 3D ... It's easy and fun. I haven't done enough models lately to figure out if some 3D things are done best in SketchUp, while other 3D things are still done best in DataCAD.

- I have not played with DataCAD's smart 3D stuff.

- At my job, where I make a living, UNFORTUNATELY the company's software is AutoCAD/Revit. I don't think that will ever change (at this company). I do not have a license for these for myself. I do need to find a good free/cheap AutoCAD clone for myself ... to view/translate AutoCAD files.

- Since DataCAD is now just something that I use occasionally at home, I don't keep up to the latest version (sorry).
#59484 by Roger Cisl
Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:30 am
I started with DCAD 5 and upgraded to DCAD 12 over the years. Used it for all my drawing needs for my small construction company.
Currently there is no work, so I call myself retired. I am very happy with DCAD 12 and don't see the need to spend the money to upgrade and learn all the new features.
Thanks

Roger
#59495 by DickEades
Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:06 pm
Since I haven't worked in over three years, I am essentially involuntarily retired. If I do get new work, the company I do contract work for has insisted on switching to AutoCAD and Revit only, so I am trying to learn Revit. Additionally, my wife has terminal liver cancer (discovered about a year ago) and I am serving as her 24 hr. nurse, so not much time is going in to learning Revit. If I had work, I don't know when I would do it.
#59499 by marko
Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:21 pm
DataCAD is generally a nice cad and this has been my primary working tool for the last two decades almost... I am currently still using X3 as it generally satisfies my need for basic modeling and drawing. There are two issues with DataCAD that keep me from upgrading, but hopefully these will be addressed in the future.

With the fast spread of BIM software, 4D will probably become the standard pretty soon, thus it may become necessary to use a cad that will support this idea. We already use Revit in the office to cope with the stream, and switching to an expensive Autodesk product or some other software may prove inevitable in the future. I have also learned to use 3d max for more sophisticated geometry and rendering. I often generate geometry with DataCAD followed by elaborating with 3d max. Finetuning is of course much more fun this way. Although these two play in different leagues, the straightforward simplicity of DataCAD in certain cases easily surpasses the tens of options of 3d max.

I am happy that DataCAD can generate .o2c. This extremely condensed format is still one of the best ways to present 3d models over the web. When .o2c came into being, I had high hopes. Today, it looks like .o2c has almost vanished from the picture: the player is not supported by most of browsers and surprisingly - no progress in the Mac direction... Probably Sketchup with its ease to also generate and modify geometry has taken over this role. Of course, all this has nothing to with DataCAD, but if .o2c worked better, DataCAD would score as well : )
#59505 by Steve Baldwin
Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:52 am
DickEades wrote:Since I haven't worked in over three years, I am essentially involuntarily retired. If I do get new work, the company I do contract work for has insisted on switching to AutoCAD and Revit only, so I am trying to learn Revit. Additionally, my wife has terminal liver cancer (discovered about a year ago) and I am serving as her 24 hr. nurse, so not much time is going in to learning Revit. If I had work, I don't know when I would do it.

Wow ... That is rough! I'll keep you and your wife in my prayers, Dick. Stay strong!