Post off topic threads here.
#61139 by jimgoodman
Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:59 pm
Well, so are we.....

We formatted a Seagate 1tb USB 3.0 portable drive to Fat 32 with 64kb cluster size.

To quote my son who is the one actually doing the heavy lifting on this, "So far the first run with the new external drive isn’t working out so good. It’s locked up again. Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!" (9:59 am)

I was completely bogged down on the Vostro with the new USB Drive, so I had to restart it and while that is going on I have been manually typing the file paths onto the new drive and just synchronizing them sub folder by sub folder on the Inspiron and so far I got 1 complete disk transferred without a hitch. It’s more work but I don’t have to continually restart the computer." (12:55 pm)

"Stand by for news!"
#61141 by David A. Giesselman
Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:26 pm
Have I mentioned, recently, just how much I hate Windoze?

This is just one of the countless reasons that I still run XP Pro on my development machine. At least I know what's wrong with XP.

Dave
#61143 by joshhuggins
Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:42 pm
Have you tried using Robocopy via the command line to do the moving?

Example
ROBOCOPY "C:\Datacad" "\\server\Datacad" /mir /s /r:3 /w:3

#61146 by jimgoodman
Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:20 pm
Here's the latest from my son:

"I have been making the transfers on the Inspiron notebook. I have found that it is easier to do on that one since I can eject the disk without ejecting it through windows explorer like I do on the Vostro. That machine just locks up when I try to eject the disk, and takes forever to restart. I don’t have to restart the Inspiron, just eject and reinsert. But now it is running so hot that the disks look like bowls almost when I eject them."

We will try the other options as well. We need to solve this because we have a ton of data that needs to be rescued from the CDs
#61188 by jimgoodman
Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:45 pm
It's been a busy week here in Lake Wobegon, but we are finally back trying to solve the CD transfer mystery.

We fired up our old Vaio desktop running Windows XP and the transfers are working much better.

We are thinking that the cdrom drives in the laptops we were using weren't dissipating the heat generated from the file transfer operation which was causing the freeze-ups and crashes. The desktop has the conventional tray type cdrom drive with more space around it for ventilation.

Just a guess, but excess heat seems to cause computers to do random things. We had a Dell box delivered with the internal fans incorrectly wired. The system would overheat and cause random blue screen errors. After Dell replaced literally every component in the system, the third on-site tech guy discovered and corrected the fan wiring problem and things worked perfectly after that.

Of course, now that I have posted this, havoc is sure to ensue!