Post off topic threads here.
#61717 by fsoliver
Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:12 pm
Has anyone read The SketchUp Workflow for Architecture? It is written for Sketchup but can be applied to process and workflow with any project.
I was wondering how if any DataCADers use Sketchup and how you integrate it within your workflow???
#61746 by Robert Scott
Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:22 pm
Here's a link to the book mentioned: http://www.amazon.com/The-SketchUp-Work ... 1118290143

I've not read the book but it does look interesting...might have to order it. SU Pro is my main tool for 3D modeling. I'm a sole proprietor and use it alongside DataCAD to develop massing models all the way through complete exterior models. The models are used to create 2D elevations and exported back into DataCAD for construction documents and/or exported into Thea Render for advanced rendering.

Regards,

Robert
#61750 by fsoliver
Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:38 am
Let me know what you think of the book once you have read it. Mark has videos on YouTube as well as SketchUp Exchange . com. They are a great primer as you wait on delivery of the book. I am most interested in how Mark deals with layers and scenes. And how his system transfers to and from DataCAD. He uses conceptual layers that you can create in SU to keep from having so many layers. The book has the best explanation of all aspects of Layout.

SUEXCH.COM

http://brightmantal.com/index.html
#61966 by Ted B
Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:05 am
I've been thinking of using Sketchup Layout for basic construction documentation. In the past I've been building models in Sketchup, and .dwg-importing flat 2D elevations and roof plans back into Datacad.

I have one photovoltaic panel systems-contractor/installer that I do a lot of work with in the course of a year, mostly ground-mount arrays and residential roof-mounted arrays...and they're always different layouts since they're retro-fits. We've been going back-n-forth over ways to streamline the process of generating the construction documents since his margins are thin on these jobs, but the Townships and the 3rd-party financing-providers still require sealed drawings and a certain-level of documentation. I've been able to eliminate most of the actual field-surveys (and the expensive travel-time hours required) using Google Earth and Bing Maps to "view" and measure the house's roof and guesstimate the roof-slopes. The current live-file drawings are in Datacad that he can't manipulate.

I thinking that his field-manager is somewhat facile in basic Sketchup...versus has no knowledge of Datacad, and Sketchup is free (Sorry, Mark!)...so we can interactively exchange drawings in Sketchup Layout to his tablet-PC in the field. Since he's physically at the house to do their pre-proposal feasibility survey, he's already there and can record the vital parameters and limitations of the design in correct graphic-form. The more information that he can send me about the house and roof

The 3rd-party financing providers have been accepting 11x17"-original .pdf-files electronically. The local Township/Municipal Bldg. Departments (AHJ) are still requiring physical printouts of the final construction document .pdf's with original, actual signatures and my New Jersey RA's crimp-seal...and the manufacturers' cut-sheets, specs and literature....

Interestingly, more and more of my Pennsylvania AHJs' are requiring .pdf-only submittals for construction documents with the signature and the 'rubber stamp' RA's seal as .jpeg-images...or digital signatures. Pennsylvania has long-allowed rubber-stamp imprints of the RA's 'actual signature', some AHJs' only requiring a actual signature' on the first-page of the set..
#61986 by fsoliver
Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:00 pm
Doing CD's with Layout is one of the main thrust of the book, The Sketchup Workflow for Architecture. The book is one of the best on Layout and the author's method of getting line weights in Layout is pretty simple. I think you are referring to the free version of SketchUp but to get into this book's method you must have SketchUP Pro with Layout.
#61994 by Ted B
Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:44 am
. I think the PV array contractor can get-by with just the free-version of Sketch-up 8. I have both versions...I've just never used Layout so I'm going to experiment