Post off topic threads here.
#62149 by Ted B
Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:54 pm
As a longstanding fan of Datacad, I'm just wondering if the fall-off of posts here over the last few years is a reflection that Datacad's reached a level of sophistication that it answers most of it's users' needs...or if the ever-increasing reach of BIM-type project-management architectural documentation has cut into Datacad's fan-base? Has AutoCAD's Revit, Architectural Desktop and the object-based architectural CAD-programs like Chief Architect cut into Datacad's natural-place in the market for the small and solo practitioner?

I've always held that BIM isn't really appropriate from a business-standpoint for small commercial and residential projects that lack the 6-figure...and 7-figure...A/E contracts.

Thoughts?
Opinions?

I've summarized my current use of Datacad and CAD if interested.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13324&start=15
Last edited by Ted B on Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#62150 by joshhuggins
Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:27 pm
I think it's probably due to people moving to other fields of work after "The Crash".
#62153 by Robert Scott
Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:20 am
Could be a combination of several factors at play: "The Crash", AC being sold as the "CAD" standard at the college level, Revit, the general format of this forum (as opposed to the old DBUG email list).

Robert
#62498 by Nick Pyner
Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:43 pm
Ted B wrote:As a longstanding fan of Datacad, I'm just wondering if the fall-off of posts here over the last few years is a reflection that Datacad's reached a level of sophistication that it answers most of it's users' needs...or if the ever-increasing reach of BIM-type project-management architectural documentation has cut into Datacad's fan-base? Has AutoCAD's Revit, Architectural Desktop and the object-based architectural CAD-programs like Chief Architect cut into Datacad's natural-place in the market for the small and solo practitioner?
I've always held that BIM isn't really appropriate from a business-standpoint for small commercial and residential projects that lack the 6-figure...and 7-figure...A/E contracts.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13324&start=15

Who would really know except DataCad LLC?, but I think the fall-off is largely down to DataCad being good enough for its users to get along OK without the forum plus, I'm afraid, the dearth of new users.

While BIM isn't really appropriate from a business-standpoint for small commercial and residential projects, many buyers will succumb regardless. This to the point where DCacd may have to do this BIM stuff in order to survive, and we will land up paying for something we don't need. I sincerely hope that DCad can find its niche and doesn't have to do that.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the format of this forum, I think it's more useful than DBUG but I'm happy using both.

No comment on "The Crash", down here in God's Own, we managed to avoid it, but there could be problems over the hill.