Post off topic threads here.
#62577 by Neil Blanchard
Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:10 am
I got some information on a Fujitsu heat pump that has an HSPF rating of 12-12.5 and a SEER rating from 25-27.2, depending on the capacity. The smallest is 9,000BTU cooling and 12,000BTU heating, and the largest of three models has ~14,000BTU cooling and 18,000BTU heating. They are single zone, and the multi zone units the ratings drop to ~9 and ~20 respectively.

http://www.fujitsugeneral.com/wallmountedRLS2.htm

What is the competition on these? How close is this efficiency to ground source heat pumps?

I'll look at Mitsubishi models, too. My brother had heard good things about those.

I called a friend who has a Hallowell Acadia 2-stage system and while he was initially very happy with it, it has now crapped out, and since that company is out of business, and the compressor subcontractor won't help him; he's got a $12K dead white elephant. He works at a company that has a number of heat pumps, and they require roughly a $300 annual maintenance, and seem to really get stressed below 30F. This means the compressors take a lot of wear and tear, and you end up relying on resistance heat or your old furnace when the temps get low.

I'm wondering about solar water heaters with a large storage tank for a heat source for heat pumps?
#62588 by Nick Pyner
Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:00 pm
Neil Blanchard wrote:I'm wondering about solar water heaters with a large storage tank for a heat source for heat pumps?

I imagine that would be a bit of ephemeral glory. The time when you want the heat pump most is the time when you have the least chance of replenishing the heat in the tank. Therefore, the inevitably substantial investment in the solar might be better placed elsewhere.

I understand well water is common practice over there, which sounds ideal if you can access it, as I imagine it would be much more predictable.

I don't want to buy into this because the added complexity goes against the grain a bit but, if you have a family and a climate that merits it, using a heat pump to extract heat from grey water could be worth pursuing. Even with its limitations, it might not be too hard to design either, compared with the solar proposal, since human user patterns are more predictable than the weather.
#62592 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:52 am
Ground source heat pumps are certainly a dependable and efficient way to go. They are quite expensive, though. My brother did one at his house, and the well alone was about $11,000.

I am planning on doing a lot more insulation in my house, and we'll see if it is possible to keep it comfortable with almost no input after that. That is obviously the ideal.
#62595 by Mark F. Madura
Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:57 am
I'm convinced that super-insulation combined with proper air exchange is the way to go in Northern climates. My parents built a two-storey, 1,500 s.f. house in Northern Michigan with 8" walls, radiant heat floors, and Hurd Ultra-R windows (R-factor of ~12 I think). It is heated with propane at a cost of less than $25/mo. if I recall correctly. They did not use spray foam when they built it more than ten years ago.