Post off topic threads here.
#62676 by Robert Scott
Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:36 pm
Forum:

In response to a recent "off forum" discussion on Sketchup Layout and to a lesser degree Revit and Archicad I've decided to take a hard look at adding colored details to my con docs sets in addition to providing library of O2C models. The initial response to color and the O2C models has been very positive from my main building contractor.

Attached are two samples (not my work..acquired from the Masonry Detail Series on 3D Warehouse http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... cc&start=0) I've worked up and I'm now at the point of developing the "best" way of annotation...in DataCAD or going the Photoshop/Illustrator method.

Other questions to be answered:

1. Best method of printing? Full sheets or detail books? In house via PDF or commercially printed?

2. Will DataCAD presently be pushed to far to handle the added graphics or is this a limit of the hardware?

My motives are two fold: 1. to develop a better set of con docs. 2. Expand on my growing base of 3D and illustration clientele.

O2C model can be found here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1nxtw4h84g7g9 ... il%202.o2c
Looking forward to the thoughts of the forum,

Robert
Attachments
Detail-1-Web.jpg
Detail-1-Web.jpg (225.75 KiB) Viewed 15183 times
Detail-2-Web.jpg
Detail-2-Web.jpg (247.87 KiB) Viewed 15183 times
Last edited by Robert Scott on Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
#62685 by Robert Scott
Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:31 am
Nick Pyner wrote:I see o2c doesn't handle the holes in the bricks too well....

Yeah...this particular O2C was generated from a 3DS import. I'm finding each method of import has its own little anomalies or quirks that have to be dealt with.

Robert
#62688 by Robert Scott
Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:19 am
Mark F. Madura wrote:It's not the holes per se, but the normals. Enabling render backface (i.e., both sides) in the material definition will take care of the problem.

That was indeed the problem....thanks, Mark!
#62762 by Ted B
Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:32 pm
Many years ago...back when CAD required a mini-mainframe...myself and the firm's partners attended a demo in Annapolis MD for a CAD-system that we didn't buy. (thank the GODS!!) But what impressed me, and regret not-swiping a copy-of was a full set of construction drawings for a large multi-story apartment building that was offset printed on high-quality paper, both-sides and edge-bound, at then-halfscale in full-color (cymk) for clarity. The various disciplines were separated in color and overlaid on gray-screened backgrounds. Differing line-weights, and screened blocks and sophisticated hatching and screened-tones. Very sexy, and you read it like a high-quality tabloid magazine. It must have run nearly 100-pages, but was magnificent. Interestingly, instead of being the typical landscape-orientation, the final as-printed construction docs. were formatted as 2-page-printed vertically-folded on 30"x42 paper and tabloid perfect-staple-bound.
...The only thing they lacked was "overshoot" and a furry architectural font to give them the warmth of a hand-drawn page.

That set inspired me to be an enthusiastic supporter of half-scale printing for CAD-generated constructing drawings when compared to the scale/size of hand-drawn construction drawings. Since I have opened my own practice in 2001, all my CAD drawings have been issued on 11x17" tabloid paper...with no problems from any Building Dept. other than Brooklyn, NY's. You just have to adjust the lettering slightly to maintain a 3/32" or 1/8" actual-printed size when at 11x17". I also use several architectural-type fonts and generous line-weights and overshoot to lend a warmth to my drawings so they look less "machine-drawn".
#62766 by Robert Scott
Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:27 am
That set inspired me to be an enthusiastic supporter of half-scale printing for CAD-generated constructing drawings when compared to the scale/size of hand-drawn construction drawings. Since I have opened my own practice in 2001, all my CAD drawings have been issued on 11x17" tabloid paper...with no problems from any Building Dept. other than Brooklyn, NY's. You just have to adjust the lettering slightly to maintain a 3/32" or 1/8" actual-printed size when at 11x17". I also use several architectural-type fonts and generous line-weights and overshoot to lend a warmth to my drawings so they look less "machine-drawn".

Presentation still counts IMHO.

Robert
#62771 by joshhuggins
Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:05 pm
I'd move to a color output system in a heartbeat if it wasn't so darn cost prohibitive. So much more contrast and clarity with color, it really is a shame it can't be used more.
#62773 by Robert Scott
Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:44 pm
joshhuggins wrote:I'd move to a color output system in a heartbeat if it wasn't so darn cost prohibitive. So much more contrast and clarity with color, it really is a shame it can't be used more.

If it saves time and mistakes in the field or in pricing isn't that the ultimate cost effective?
The better our drawings communicate the better the product...just my two cents.
I do understand your point :)
#62775 by joshhuggins
Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:38 pm
Robert Scott wrote:If it saves time and mistakes in the field or in pricing isn't that the ultimate cost effective?
LOL, not always, a color set might cost more than the repair :shock:
#62776 by Robert Scott
Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:01 pm
Unfortunately Josh you may be right.
I've personally witnessed more than one contractor hire inferior workman knowing it was cheaper to have their punch list guy repair things.
#62777 by Ted B
Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:47 am
With apologies to those skilled craftsmen out-there but.....
I'm continually discouraged by the outright shoddy work I repeatedly see on job-sites...especially at the basic levels of light wood-framing and drywalling. And they don't follow the drawings. They do what they want, and then need as-builts and calculations to get them off the hook when the get caught by the building-inspectors. Simply tragic....
#62778 by Robert Scott
Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:47 pm
Ted B wrote:With apologies to those skilled craftsmen out-there but.....
I'm continually discouraged by the outright shoddy work I repeatedly see on job-sites...especially at the basic levels of light wood-framing and drywalling. And they don't follow the drawings. They do what they want, and then need as-builts and calculations to get them off the hook when the get caught by the building-inspectors. Simply tragic....

I think Josh had a related valid point: It's cost effective to repair bad workmanship.
The building trade is no longer a craft. The sad reality it is all about the Benjamins. I'm in my mid 50's and was trained in fine carpentry by guys that could still build anything you want from a napkin sketch with hand tools.
They fully understood how things went together.

Ever heard the joke: "not my job, let the finish carpenter fix it"....sad but true.