Post off topic threads here.
#63411 by jimgoodman
Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:35 pm
Here is an update on the upcoming Left Coast User's Group Meeting:

So far, we have 14 folks who have expressed interest in attending. A few have an issue with the March 19 date and so I am proposing a change in date to April 02, 2014. There are a number of reasons why this date works better, not the least of which is that it is the official 30th birthday of DataCAD.

The Chart House can accommodate up to 18 in one of the main dining rooms with a reservation and they have said we can come a bit earlier than their 4:30 pm opening time to tour the building. Our group would basically be handled like a birthday or office party. We would not plan on any presentation. Food and drink can be ordered from the menu and paid for by each participant. The Chart House is not an inexpensive restaurant, but the food is excellent.
http://www.chart-house.com/locations/dana-point/

I indicated to them that we might want to hang out for several hours and they said that we were good until 10:00 pm or so.

If we get beyond 18, we can buy out one of the dining rooms which can handle up to 70. This would run a minimum of $2,500.00 including a preset menu. We would be able to setup a projector and make presentations in that case. We would probably need at least 30 or 35 folks to make the economics on this work out. I think we would need to figure about $50.00 per person for this to work out. My sense is that this is probably beyond our collective threshold of economic pain but it is an option.

It doesn't look like Kendrick Bangs Kellogg will be able to attend. I am trying to convince Mark Madura to make the long trip, but he probably needs to stay home for the main birthday celebration.

George Robertson has expressed interest in coming down from Seattle which would definitely qualify him for the free cocktail for furthest traveled. There are some reasonably priced accommodations in Dana Point for anyone else who might be interested in making a longer trip (Allan and Josh come to mind and maybe even Nick Pyner for down under).

For those staying over, we could arrange to get together on the morning of April 3 at my office for additional conversation and sharing. My office is 5 minutes from Chart House and I can work out ground transportation to the Amtrak depot in nearby San Juan Capistrano or John Wayne Airport.

Based on feedback from this message, we will continue to fine tune this so it works for most if not all of us.
#63582 by jimgoodman
Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:30 am
Good first day of spring for everyone.

We have a reservation at the Chart House for April 02 at 5:00 p.m. and we can stay as long as we would like. The lounge opens at 4:30 and the manager has agreed to let us in at 4:00 so we can wander around the building and make nerdy architect comments before we scare off the paying public.

If we can get to at least 14, we have the option to order from their group dinner menu. This would require a deposit and prepayment, which sounds a lot more complicated than I think it needs to be.

My current thinking is that we just order off the regular menus. That way, those who don’t want to order dinner aren’t obligated. They will allow us have separate checks with 3 or 4 of us on each check.

I need to let the restaurant know if we are going with the group menu by Monday, March 24, 2014, so please let me know if you are planning on attending.

Here is the confirmed list so far:
Dan Dascanoio
James Horecka
Bruce Chitea
George Roberston
Jim Goodman
Glenn Williams
Talor Stewart
Ray Nona
Brian de Coster
Bill Elder

I am looking forward to a fun evening.

For those who didn't see the dbug message that included the menus, send me an e-mail and I will forward them directly.