Post off topic threads here.
#63465 by MtnArch
Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:08 am
It seems like there have been quite a few posts lately from older (ie. V8/V9/V10/V12/et al) users who have upgraded their computers to (shudder ...) Windows 8 - and are having trouble getting their older versions working with Win 8. Most posts seem to be related to the fact that the dongle driver isn't/can't be found - not that there is an issue with Dcad, but merely with the dongle driver.

(stepping up on my soap box ...)

Honestly ... we're now up to V16 for Dcad - and by my calculations we haven't been near V11 since 2005, **basically 9 years ago**!!! In all those years DC LLC has faithfully done their utmost to add features that we, the USERS, have asked for - not necessarily trying to keep up with the Acad-Joneses, just giving we end-users what we wanted and not what we've been told we "need"! The only thing that DC LLC has asked of us is to support them by upgrading yearly.

Sure ... for some/most of us we could be productive (even today) with V8 (and thank GOD that DC LLC took the time and expense to port our beloved Dcad to Windows!), but we couldn't talk/translate with where the rest of the cadd/architectural/engineering/etc. community has been moved to. And yet we're all asked to work, one way or another, with more current "standards" (like PDF and current DWG formats) to submit to jurisdictions, or even just to get prints from a local reprographics shop. There are a myriad of workarounds that work to varying degrees, but they are still just workarounds.

DC LLC has done their UTMOST to keep our upgrade costs to what can only be described as MODEST (or ludicrous!) in comparison to other software. Heck, a billing software that I've trumpeted for the past 12 years just announced that they will be going from yearly maintenance fees of $695 for a 5-user license to a yearly subscription cost of $1,100 - to get features that the single user license won't give you - and that a single user really needs!!!

Sure, it's a cost that some of us can't justify (when you only use the program very few times a year) - but if you're using it year after year, even if it's only a few times a year, how much is it really costing you? Dave Giesselman (and Devinder, with the Sun Shader) has added SO MUCH functionality every year that if you are using V14 or earlier, you are costing yourself money by NOT upgrading!

Just think ... what would you have to do if DC LLC were to (God forbid) go out of business because not enough registered users upgraded? The cost of a NEW program, coupled with LEARNING it, coupled the time to port all of your symbols/drawings/details (if you even COULD) would be WAY more than the cost of even 2 years of upgrades.

C'mon people - if you haven't upgraded into V16, please ... PLEASE don't complain that your V8/9/10/11/12/et all won't work with your new Windoze 8 machine and ask "How do I make it work?" Either figure it out yourself, go find another program to use that (may?) treat you like DC LLC has all of these years ... or make the commitment and UPGRADE to keep the program that has fed your family in the past (or still IS feeding your family now) afloat for the future!

(stepping off of my soap box ... for now)

PLEASE, Dcad users ... if you haven't upgraded to V16, please, PLEASE upgrade and see the improvements that will make your life SO much easier (and work with your new laptop/desktop)!
#63470 by MtnArch
Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:18 pm
Thank you, Neil - but it's a shame that it must be said at all!

Please forgive me everyone - even in these tough past 5 years I've done my best to help support DC LLC, and they in turn have given me (and you!) improvements that may not have the "flash" of the 800 pound gorilla, but they have helped me stay productive and earn more than I spent on my upgrades!
#63519 by Robert Scott
Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:25 am
LOTS of competition for our upgrade dollars. If loyalty alone is all you need to upgrade I'm fine with that. I personally think a better "marketing" approach would be to list the items YOU have found that
save you time and money.

I'd like to suggest that DataCAD offer a monthly subscription for DC16...that has worked really well for more expensive software like Photoshop, etc.

Robert
#63530 by Mark F. Madura
Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:45 pm
The DataCAD Subscription is available for $35 USD per month, or annually for $300 renewal, or $350 new when purchased separately from DataCAD.

Thank You,

MFM
#63531 by Robert Scott
Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:57 pm
Mark F. Madura wrote:The DataCAD Subscription is available for $35 USD per month, or annually for $300 renewal, or $350 new when purchased separately from DataCAD.

Thank You,

MFM

I can upgrade my V12 license to V16 for $35 a month???
I'll be honest I always thought that was for support as that is how it is listed on the web site.
Can you please clarify?

RGS
#63533 by jimgoodman
Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:02 pm
Personally, I ignore the requests for help from users of older versions, especially those who don't see the value in supporting the product.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14208&view=unread#unread is a good case in point.

Perhaps if all of us answered these requests with "upgrade to the latest version" it might weed out those who are taking advantage of DataCAD LLC's very benevolent policy of supporting versions all the way back to the floppy disk era.

But then again, it's the great community of users that is so willing to share, that makes this such terrific software to use on a daily basis.
#63534 by Mark F. Madura
Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:35 pm
You can upgrade your v12 to v16 for $495 first. Then you can maintain your license with a subscription for $35 per month.
#63539 by MtnArch
Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:30 am
I think I may adopt Jim's answer - though I may reword it to something like "All of your problems have been solved with V16" (or whatever the current version is!).
#63540 by joshhuggins
Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:22 pm
Yeah I have kind of stopped answering some of the really old version questions if I know the answer is probably in the manual or on the forum already. v14 and up I'll still chime in, but yeah, it's kind of like if you are able to make a living off of using this incredible valued software, why wouldn't you do what you can to ensure that when operating systems update that you will have a viable / cost effective option to continue to do so. FYI you are not going to get another 10+ year run out of another version of Windows like you did with XP. Plus keeping the versions up to date as they come out is an easier pill to swallow than waiting for 3 versions to pass and then make a big jump. Granted I understand when things got really tough and some didn't know if they were going to stay in this line of work, that is one thing, but if you're still cranking out plans and getting a check at the end of the job, then it only makes sense to make that small investment in your own tools and learn to use some of the new tools. Sure version x may still get the job done, but not nearly as fast as version z will with a little time invested.

Thankfully work is picking up around here and just ordered up an additional license and subscription for the office, (thanks Clay) and if we get some of the big jobs that look like they are going to go we will be adding another couple positions and Datacad seats as well.
Last edited by joshhuggins on Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#63541 by MtnArch
Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:16 pm
I suppose they could also argue that V5 (DOS version!) can still be productive - of course, some of us could also be very productive with mylar and Rapidograph jewel points still, too!! :lol:
#65355 by Robert Scott
Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:45 pm
Forced by Windows 8.1 to upgrade to 17. The DWG/DXF and SU conversions were worth it alone although we will have to wait for DC to play catch up to allow SU 15 files to work. Simple work around for now.

Still looking for a roof modeler as part of the smart package.

Robert
#65609 by wwwylie
Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:09 pm
Robert Scott wrote:Still looking for a roof modeler as part of the smart package.

I do all my modelling in SketchUp currently and have found the "Instant Roof Nui" script from Vali Architects to be one of the best investments ever.