Post off topic threads here.
#64665 by dennisnorton
Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:13 pm
I am interested in using a tablet or small notebook to take to job meetings and site inspections. Having something small is a must, and I want to be able to access datacad drawings as well as windows based programs with the device.

Does anyone have experience with this or have advice?
#64666 by joshhuggins
Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:05 pm
A Surface Pro 3 is probably your best bet.
#64667 by Paul Nida
Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:42 pm
The Surface Pro 3 would be a good choice. But it would really depend on how big of a screen you want, how much memory you want on it, what processor you want in it, and how much you want to spend. One other thing you should consider is whether or not is has a Wacom Stylus. Several Windows tablets, including the Surface Pro 3 do have, but some don't. In my opinion this is a must have. One other thing to consider is the operating system. Do not get one with Windows RT, it will not run DCAD. At least not unless they have changed it since it came out, and I don't think they have.
#64669 by joshhuggins
Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:19 pm
The Pro versions of the surface run full windows. Not a 100% sure but I don't think they have an RT version for the SP3.
#64671 by Paul Nida
Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:53 pm
I know Josh, I was talking about Windows tablets in general. I may be wrong, but I believe there is a Surface that has RT just not the Surface Pro. But if someone isn't careful or doesn't know the difference they can buy something that they think they can use DCAD or other Windows software on, but they get home and find out they can't. As far as I am concerned RT is junk. Typical Microsoft, get a good idea and then screw it up.

Also, if you get a Windows tablet make sure it has Bluetooth, most do and get a small 3 button Bluetooth mouse to use with DCAD. I have like 3 styli that all have only one button which is equivalent to a 2 button mouse. Someone said they have stylus with 2 buttons making it equivalent to a 3 button mouse, but I haven't come across one of them yet. I need to hunt one down. Another problem with tablets is that unless you have a keyboard attached you don't have use of the alt-keys, or at least mine doesn't.
#64672 by dennisnorton
Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:07 am
Thanks for all of the input and advice.

I guess now the bottom line is - is a tablet worth the cost? Does it really work as well as the presentations make one believe? Also, there are several cpu choices - which elevates the cost substantially.

I am a one-man shop and have to watch expenditures quite carefully. So, I have no money for experimentation. I need something that is useful in the field and for field inspections, meetings, etc. Also, having the ability to open cad files at the job site is a definite plus for me.
#64679 by Paul Nida
Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:31 am
This is really a personal choice only you can make. I have both a laptop and tablet, both run Windows 8.1. I like both of them and I run DCAD 16 on both of them. I don't do a lot of field work anymore but obviously the tablet is much easier to take to job sites and even meetings. The stylus with handwriting recognition is a big plus for me. It is not perfect but it does a pretty good job. Sometimes I have trouble reading my own handwriting and it still does a pretty good job and I am surprised at how accurate it is sometimes. The screen size of my tablet is 11.6", it is not huge for working on CAD but it is adequate for my needs. I can also hook it up to a larger screen if one is available. When I started on DCAD I had a 14" monitor, this is close to that and is workable. You can also get a larger screen like 13" or so. The trade off is obviously size and bulk carrying it around. You could also opt for an 8" screen which would be easier to carry but harder to see. As for the processor, get the fastest you can afford, speed versus money. But unless you are going to use this as your primary computer you might want to take a step down. The same thing with memory, the more the better but it does add to the cost. I would recommend a min. of 64 gb hard drive and 2 gb of RAM. The more the better. My tablet has a detachable keyboard which turns it into a small laptop which is a nice feature, but I primarily use it as a tablet.

If you decide to get a tablet, these are all things you should take into account. And only you can make the decision as to what works best for you. As I said before, the Surface Pro 3 would be a good choice. But they are not cheap, you can probably get a more powerful laptop for less money. But there are others available at lower prices. Just remember, don't get one with Windows RT and if it has a Wacom stylus that is a big plus.
#64681 by dennisnorton
Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:22 pm
Thanks for the insight, Paul.

I have a Wacom stylus that I sometimes use on a tablet I got for doing sketches. I don't use it much - I got a not so very costly tablet and I guess it shows in the final outcome.

I am going to have a hands on test drive of the Surface Pro 3 to see if I like it. It sure seems promising.

Again, thanks for all of the insight.
#64748 by Nick Pyner
Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:59 am
dennisnorton wrote:I am a one-man shop and have to watch expenditures quite carefully. So, I have no money for experimentation. I need something that is useful in the field and for field inspections, meetings, etc. Also, having the ability to open cad files at the job site is a definite plus for me.

I use a Dell430 laptop. It cost me $120 a few years ago - complete with XP sticker. It is hardly any bigger than a tablet, the screen is 12.5", and not much heavier.
The joy of it is that it runs DCad just like a real computer - because it IS a real computer. It is one of the best investments I have ever made, I would need a lot of persuading to get a tablet for this sort of job.

You will be amazed at what can be found out there.......
#64749 by Paul Nida
Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:19 pm
My tablet, being a Windows 8.1 tablet, is also a real computer and runs all of the same software that my laptop and desktop run. But it has handwriting recognition with its Wacom stylus and since it is a tablet it is easier to carry and take notes on while on a job site visit. When I connect it to its keyboard it is also a laptop. Like I said before, this is a personal choice and everyone has to choose for themselves. Personally I really like my tablet computer for many reasons, but I also like my laptop and desktop. But when it comes time to upgrade, I will probably go with some form 2 in 1 tablet/laptop computer and I will probably eliminate laptop only. The reason I have the laptop now is because I bought it before the tablet.