Post off topic threads here.
#64755 by MtnArch
Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:35 pm
Just an FYI that I (had to) buy an HP ENVY 17t-j100 Leap Motion QE Notebook PC (4th gen i7-4702MQ with 16GB ram & nVidia 4GB GT 750M video card) that included Win 8.1 and have had NO issues running DataCAD V16 (and presumably V17 when it surfaces!) or any other (current) programs. It's a sweet laptop, but I don't like that I can't shut off the touchpad like I could with my HP DV-7 laptop.

For those who have bought a new laptop/desktop that includes Win 8 - there aren't any problems, unless you're trying to run Dcad V10/11/12/etc. that were N-E-V-E-R intended to run beyond Vista! Upgrade to V16 (and V17 in the next few weeks!!) and you will NEVER have to look back!

I **LOVE** how Dave G's DataCAD programming - which starts in WinXP - can run **without issues** in Win 8! Guess that says something about **OUR** beloved programmer!!!!
#64757 by Paul Nida
Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:20 am
I agree Alan, I've been running Windows 8 since it came out without any real problems. I hear people complaining about it all the time and I just chalk it up to operator error for the most part.

My old HP laptop had a simple way to turn off the touchpad by tapping on a dot in the corner of the pad if I remember correctly. But on my current Asus laptop I have to tap a function key to turn it on and off. Not quite as handy but I'm less apt to accidentally turn it off. I would be surprised if there isn't some way to turn off your touchpad, but you may have to search for it.
#64758 by David A. Giesselman
Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:58 pm
MtnArch wrote:... It's a sweet laptop, but I don't like that I can't shut off the touchpad like I could with my HP DV-7 laptop.

I believe that this can be done through the Mouse Control Panel applet, not the software for the Synaptics/Touchpad.

Dave
#64760 by MtnArch
Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:12 am
Thanks Dave - I'll go pokin' around later and see if I can find it!