Post off topic threads here.
#64911 by MtnArch
Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:50 pm
... is that we are all able to interconnect even closer than before - whether it's with a joyous occasion (like a marriage) or a not quite joyous one (like a memorial service), but always with love and caring for those we have grown to know, appreciate and love through our interactions!

For those who have suffered loss in the last week, I pray that you would feel your friends and God's comfort. For those who have been struggling, either physically or metaphorically, I pray that you would feel peace. For those who are unsure of where you should go, I pray that you would see clarity for your forward movement.

And for those of us who haven't had the difficult choices to make right now, the difficult physical challenges to face right now, or the indecision of which way to turn - I pray that you would step back, become quiet and listen to your inner voice as to which path you should follow.

May we all move forward in our lives ...
#64928 by dmartens
Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:11 pm
Well said Alan. I too pray that people can find the peace they need and can find the way to that peace, be it thru religion, family or friends. But to think the internet is bringing people any closer together just boggles my mind.
Used to be when you wanted to talk with someone to just catch up or to provide emotional support, people either visited with their friend or picked up the phone to talk to them.
Now thanks to the internet all anyone wants to do is start posting on twitter or facebook or any of the other "social" mediums to let everyone know how they are feeling that particular day and why. And that info is not special to you as their friend, as it is seen by possibly hundreds of other people.
I for one am still old school and when I need support or would like to provide support to a friend, or family member, I am going to visit or call them on the phone. That, to me, is how people who really care about each other interconnect with each other.
The internet is helping to create isolationists that don't want the social interaction that really lets someone know you care about them.

Dan
#64929 by joshhuggins
Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:54 pm
The instructions that came with my internet said to use in addition to, not as a substitute for social interaction. Works well when used as directed ;)
#64935 by MtnArch
Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:52 pm
Well, I heard that the instructions weren't correct.

(that had to be true ... I read it on the Internet!) :lol:
#64936 by David A. Giesselman
Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:29 pm
MtnArch wrote:... is that we are all able to interconnect even closer than before - whether it's with a joyous occasion (like a marriage) or a not quite joyous one (like a memorial service), but always with love and caring for those we have grown to know, appreciate and love through our interactions!

For those who have suffered loss in the last week, I pray that you would feel your friends and God's comfort. For those who have been struggling, either physically or metaphorically, I pray that you would feel peace. For those who are unsure of where you should go, I pray that you would see clarity for your forward movement.

And for those of us who haven't had the difficult choices to make right now, the difficult physical challenges to face right now, or the indecision of which way to turn - I pray that you would step back, become quiet and listen to your inner voice as to which path you should follow.

May we all move forward in our lives ...

Hi Alan:

Instructions or not, and some may find it impersonal, I am very happy to have a few "internet friends" and acquaintances. I find it allows me to connect with those who are not always available via telephone due to time-zone differences and other restrictions. It allows me to share many things, both professional and personal, with folks that I consider friends and might not be able to do so otherwise. I'm not always up at 3 or 4am to speak with Mark Bell on the phone, yet the internet still allows me a vehicle to stay in touch. Yes, I've called him at his office and been fortunate enough to catch at a time that allows him to talk. Alan, you and I have spoken many times on the phone. Both on a professional as well as a personal level. My mom's passing is the most recent time that we've had exchanges at a personal level due to some common beliefs and values that we share. Although we've yet to meet in "real" life, the internet has given me the gift of calling you a good friend. Without that medium, I doubt that would have been possible. I find the internet to be a wonderful "introduction" to other folks that I might not otherwise have a chance to know. I'll agree that there's no real replacement for face-to-face interaction or a voice on the other end of the telephone. But due to a lot of restrictions that are otherwise uncontrollable, the internet is a pretty good vehicle for communication.

Cheers!
Dave
#64938 by MtnArch
Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:05 pm
Well said Dave. I'm privileged to be among your friends!