Post off topic threads here.
#64934 by Neil Blanchard
Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:20 pm
Hello,

After a bit of time and effort, I have managed to produce an office projects timeline, in Excel. Gantt charts are close, but they generally do not have multiple projects and they cascade the phases; rather than stacking them. Here's the result:

The scale across the bottom is 7 day and 28 day segments. I am not able to get a current set of dates to show there - without having the bars go missing. Other bits that I would have really liked to get working is to have an abbreviation for each phase show inside the corresponding segments - but any that are not used show up where they would come in the sequence, and they overlay each other and/or the project name. The key squares can only be increased in size by bumping up the font.

Oh, and my version of Excel "forgets" the printer I've selected each time I reopen the file, so the formatting gets squished down to 8 1/2 x 11 ...

Does anybody have a better solution for this?
#64937 by joshhuggins
Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:47 pm
Neil Blanchard wrote:Oh, and my version of Excel "forgets" the printer I've selected each time I reopen the file, so the formatting gets squished down to 8 1/2 x 11
I don't recall where the setting is under the menu system, maybe under format, but have you tried to set the page size somewhere in excel other than just in the print dialog?

As for the getting the dates to show, I know the last table I did like this I had a hard time getting things figured out to get the bottom to show the results I wanted. I think I ended up using another column to create a relational connection between the where my normal date cells would fall within a range of cells with specific date ranges, it would it would display a specific value.

Kind of like

01/01/1980 January
01/02/1980
01/03/1980
02/01/1980 February

Hmm, sorry hard to show in the forum. I'll see if I can hunt it down at home. I know I have the Powerpoint presentation that it went into. Whatever it was I did find it online I believe. The truth is out there. :) Good luck.
#64961 by Neil Blanchard
Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:17 am
Thanks Josh - with the stacked bar chart, the cells determine the labels only for the left side vertical axis, and the stacked segments of the bars can show the labels for the other axis. The scale at the bottom is part of the chart itself and is not set by data.

That is why this is frustrating me. I tried a second table displayed below the bar chart, but that doesn't align. This is glitch / bug in Excel, as far as I can tell: when the dates show, the bars disappear ...
#72199 by oifla
Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:01 pm
Hello Neil!

Would you consider sharing your spreadsheet? I'm working on putting something like that together but my Excel skill set is very limited.

I realize I'm bordering on full e-stalking at this point :) Sorry!

In short, it would be really great not to have to reinvent the wheel (esp. when yours looks to work perfectly for what I need!), I would very much appreciate your help.

Thank you!

O.
#72203 by jimgoodman
Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:11 am
Sounds like a good addition to Cheap Tricks Ware....
I would be interested in looking a this as well.
#72219 by Roger D
Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:33 pm
where does one find the function _xlfnodf.SKEWP